93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Troublesome start and which is to blame for bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Troublesome start and which is to blame for bad gas mileage

First off, my Camaro is a 94 3.4l V6 4-speed Auto with OD.

When I go to start it, which it starts every time, its extremely hesitant. But only when its warm. If it is cold outside or hasn't been run that day, it starts right up. When you have run it though, or on a very hot day, it cranks, hesitates, cranks, hesitates, and will do this for anywhere between a few seconds and 20 seconds before it actually turns over. I was thinking a bad starting solenoid since if it was the actual starter, it probably wouldn't start at all. It has a new battery and alternator and Im about to replace the terminal bolts, terminal points, and all new wires coming from the battery. Both the positive and the negative and the 500 branches of the wire, and Ill also be replacing the ground wire to the starter. So do you think Ill fix it after replacing what I am, is it the solenoid, or is it something else?

Second off, Ive read everywhere I could on this topic and have talked to everyone, but Im on a serious budget and I rather replace one thing, not 4. I get about 10mpg. Even in a Camaro, I should be getting more than that. I have gotten all this as an answer of what to replace - air filter (even though I have a new CAI), fuel filter, fuel injectors, or both o2 sensors. Can someone give me a straight answer or am I literally going to have to replace all of that?

Thank you for all and any help.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

to me it sounds like the fuel pump... air filters really have nothing to do with starting unless its so clogged no air can pass (in which it wouldnt run very good at all) the o2s really dont do anything until there heated up if it were the fuel filter it wouldnt matter what the temp was (although you should replace that anyways its probably original) which again leads me to the pump temp will affect the way the pump works also dont let your car go below 1/4 tank the fuel helps to keep the pump cool

my 3.4 was doing the same thing 2 weeks later i had to flatbed it home because the pump crapped out on me i replaced the pump with a brand new one (and the filter) and the car would start within one revolution of the motor

Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank you for that. Kind of disappointing though since fuel pumps are usually expensive and I do all my own work usually, but I don't know if I'm experienced enough for that. Suspension and fuel systems besides the fuel filter are two things I really have never messed with. Is it a difficult task on the Camaro to change out the fuel pump? Ill look how to do it later so I'm not asking how to change it, I'm sure there is an answer on the forum somewhere already, I just want to know if its easy or difficult or impossible, haha. Or if you know a thread that explains it off the top of your head, that would be great too.

Do you have any ideas on the 10mpg issue? I see you answering all over these forums so I figured you might be a good person to ask.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pull the plugs out and see if they are (black) fouling. you could have to much fuel or not enough. check the fuel pressure. most times a parts store will let you do a quick test in the lot.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

If it is the pump there's a sticky in the 4th gen section a how to hatch method check that out

Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Good thing I have the 3.4l and not the 3800 series to check the plugs. I tried to get even just the plug wires off a 3800 and that seemed impossible to me. I'm not sure how they do it. But alright, I'll look at them when I get the chance. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to an auto parts store but hopefully Ill have some time shortly. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear member

That fuel pump hatch mod was a great idea! That should make things a lot easier now. I'm still not sure just how easy those connections come off, but this takes care of the majority of the work.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 9334V6
If it is cold outside or hasn't been run that day, it starts right up. When you have run it though, or on a very hot day, it cranks, hesitates, cranks, hesitates, and will do this for anywhere between a few seconds and 20 seconds before it actually turns over. I was thinking a bad starting solenoid since if it was the actual starter, it probably wouldn't start at all.
Please clarify something. When you're turning the key, and activating the starter, you're turning over the engine. The way you describe the problem, the starter is quitting on you. Is that what's happening?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Hmm now that I read that again it does sound like he's talking about the starter...

Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Sorry, when I said turn over, I meant actually start and run. I'm being distracted between people and tv. haha. So to clarify, I turn the key, it does the whole crank and hesitate thing than starts.

Quick Reply: Troublesome start and which is to blame for bad gas mileage