93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear member
Exclamation trouble codes

ok i got a new alarm with auto start on my 95 3.4 manual and now im getting a check engine soon light.
im getting error code
36 (24x signal error)
39 (Clutch switch error)

the people who did the alarm told me it was a speed sensor on the tranny that made the code go off.

they also said they moved the tach. sensor. they said they noticed it was bad when they put the alarm in. (hopefully that means they fixed it then moved it) (i also think they mixed the code up they looked up 24 not 36).

Now i noticed for the alarm that they needed to put wires on the coil packs in order to get auto start. They said they followed the directions and that they installed the module that is needed for a stick shift car.

Last i noticed is that the air pump fuse in the hood keeps blowing. Where can i trace the problem too? (the air pump itself or a short)
if it is the air pump is it easy to replace and if it is a short would i have to follow the wires all the way to air pump? (the fuse tester i put on it says that the fuse is getting no power)

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Overdrive Member

I hope your warranty is still valid -- bring it back to the hack jobs who did this work.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear member

i did and i want them to figure this S**T out. Its under warranty but they just dont listen to the fact that MY diagnostic tool is saying code 36 and 39 and its something they did to make it go off. any opinions on what i could do? could the alarm be making these go off or the that i had my clutch replaced 2 months ago?(a very reputable shop did it and i highly doubt it would be from the clutch)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Overdrive Member

You sure you had NO codes prior to having THIS work done? How many miles and days after the work was done did you see these codes?

Bring YOUR code reader in and show them the codes, and ask them to show you THEIR codes on THEIR code reader while you are there. Don't let them BS you, but be professional so you can get a resolution.

Also, this sounds odd, but it may relate to your situation:

Document ID# 1424672
1995 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro
Info - Misfire DTCs P0300, P1380, P1381 and Catalytic Converter Damage Due to Installation of Alarm Systems #02-06-05-004A - (Jan 9, 2004)
Misfire DTCs P0300, P1380, P1381 and Catalytic Converter Damage Due to Installation of Alarm Systems

2004 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

2004 and Prior Isuzu Light Duty Trucks

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year and include specific DTCs in the title line. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-05-004 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

General Motors Engineering, in an effort to determine the root cause of catalytic converter damage, has determined that aftermarket alarm systems incorrectly installed in vehicles have the potential to cause misfire codes and damage to the converter. These alarm systems use a circuit interrupt which utilizes the ignition circuit on the vehicles.

These alarm systems utilize mechanical relays and normal vehicle movement can trigger these relays to engage and disengage the ignition circuit while the vehicle is in motion. These disruptions of the ignition circuit, which occur in milliseconds, may cause more fuel to be commanded. Over time, this dumping of fuel on and off again can cause misfire codes and ultimately damage the converter assembly.

Important

Engineering could not identify any alarms that utilize solid state circuitry that would eliminate this concern. Because of this, it has been determined that all alarm systems must be routed through the starter circuit in order to avoid this condition.

Dealers must be aware of this issue and take note of the wiring on vehicles with alarm systems that come in for repair, particularly for catalytic converter damage that seem to have no known root cause.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear member

i have gotten code 36 before but it was years ago. Will that code still be in the history of the computer?

also from what i understand the wire should be connected to the starter circuit? would that include the coil pack?

when i go to school tomorrow im going to wait for the check engine soon light then read it while the car is on. then clear it. Finally on my way home it should come on again then if it does ill unplug the alarm from the coil pack and see what happens when i go for a drive somewhere 20 miles or more.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Droid

DTC 36 refers to the crank position sensor (24X signal) (controls spark up to 2000 RPM)
DTC 39 clutch switch error (clutch anticipate signal) Bad clutch switch or wiring.
If your spedometer is working OK, the VSS should be good.

Why did you add an alarm when the car already has VATS?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear member

VSS?

From what i know VATS will only stop the car from being started and driven away. the car can still be broken into or anything else without any deterrent.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Overdrive Member

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok so final question is since the auto start is some how connected to the clutch through a module they had to put in would that cause the clutch signal error?

Like I said the code came on and I was not able to clear it with the scanner so when I drive around today I will disconnect the wires that are connected to the coil pack

Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Overdrive Member

What make/model scanner do you have? You should be able to clear the code(s), but of course, it may come back...

Quick Reply: trouble codes