93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Tranny Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Tranny Fluid Change

ORIGINAL: 01 Camaro Cp

I don't know about that. May start off as the same base stock and be OK in a Hog, but when you talk about high reving small engines with wet clutches and common oiling between engine and trans parts, the oil comes under different loads then you find in auto use. Castroil is now using the 'shear' word as a major hype point, but shear is a big factor in motorcycle oil failure (from the trans gears meshing then pulling apart). Along with foaming ... then the friction modifiers needed to keep the clutch plates from failing.

When you see that rep again, ask to see the spec sheets for both. I'll bet there is a difference.
automotive motor oil will cause the clutch to slip and wear prematurely. Friction modifiers are needed in a wet clutch application. on a harley davison, it has separate oiling units for the trans and motor so you can use straight motor oil in those.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Droid

The old gear boxes used bronze/brasssynchros that could workwith just about any heavy lubricant. The newer boxes use a friction material on the synchros which is similiar to what is used on auto transmission clutches, and arejust fussy about the lubricant used.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 01 Camaro Cp

I don't know about that. May start off as the same base stock and be OK in a Hog, but when you talk about high reving small engines with wet clutches and common oiling between engine and trans parts, the oil comes under different loads then you find in auto use. Castroil is now using the 'shear' word as a major hype point, but shear is a big factor in motorcycle oil failure (from the trans gears meshing then pulling apart). Along with foaming ... then the friction modifiers needed to keep the clutch plates from failing.

When you see that rep again, ask to see the spec sheets for both. I'll bet there is a difference.
Well let me finish. Once the rep told me that I basicly told him to blow.
1: He may have told me the truth so that led me tofeel the label was a lie.
2: I am not going to use any automotive oil in a motorcycle.
I will only use oils with the "JASO" label on it in motorcycles. I do know the importance of motorcycle oils