93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default top speed?

i have a stock2000 v6 automatic with a 3.42 rear and i was wondering what the top speed was without the governor. i have read that they will reach 135 mph and i was wondering if it really would hit that speed.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: top speed?

Why would you want to/need to be going at 118+MPH anyways?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Overdrive Member

To be cool. [&:]

Old 01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Until you have a reason to go that fast, and the money to pay for what breaks, why are you curious? Bragging rights? It will stop at 118 every time, and theres a reason. Not trying to come down on you but the v6 wasnt built to be a muscle car, its supposed to look like one lol. I drive a sixxer too though so dont worry.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a v6 too. red94v six is right though... they are just meant to look tough (in the muscle car world atleast). they look perform like muscle cars in the ricer world lol but truth is ur going to get urself in trouble going that fast so dont even bother

Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Muscle car? Muscle cars go straight. Sports car is a better word.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: musicman

Please dude, get real. Muscle car, the corvette would be a sports car per your definition, but not really the camaro or firebird. You do realize that the rear suspension on our cars was first used in trucks in the late 50s? Thats ancient technology, not something that would go on a 'sports car'.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i was just curious to see how fast it would go because i think its amazing how fast gm can get a six cylinder to go and still get 30 mpg on the highway. By the way the fastest i have ever driven a car is 80 mph and that was in my dads 1991 z28

Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: red94v six

ORIGINAL: musicman

Please dude, get real. Muscle car, the corvette would be a sports car per your definition, but not really the camaro or firebird. You do realize that the rear suspension on our cars was first used in trucks in the late 50s? Thats ancient technology, not something that would go on a 'sports car'.
Never said anything about vettes. Our cars, with minor upgrades, handle darned good for what they are. Especially if you get the watt's linkage kit from strano performance. Then you've got modern suspension equipment. I'd like to see a 50's truck out-handle my camaro, let alone keep up.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the fact that the camaro = Muscle car and Corvette = Sports/Super car. However I dont think its because of the suspension. Hell, Corvettes have leaf springs in the back, which were orginaly used on wagons in the 17th century. They didnt handle well either, and usually had 1 horse power, lol

Camaros can handle well too, but I still consider them muscle cars as they are heavier than most sports cars, have a big engine with lots of power and a rear axil. All the makings of a muscle car.

OP, I can see the 3.8 doing 130+. I can tell you for a fact they can do 121. But, as someone else said. Be ready for anything, Im dropping almost a grand on the SS because I was doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: top speed?