93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Timing chain cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Timing chain cover

I have a 98 camaro with the 3.8L and the timing cover is leaking. I was quoted at $440 at my mechanic. How hard is it to replace this?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know much, but from my skill, it goes like this.....

remove neg batt cable, remove belt, remove crank pulley, remove water pump(will have loss of fluids, recommend a rad drain first), the water pump bolts are also bolts that hold parts of the timing chain cover in place, remove timing chain cover. make sure all surfaces are clean and maybe some thread lock on all the bolts, then replace gaskets on the cover and pump, put back together in reverse.

If I am wrong in anyway i'm sure somebody will correct me with no problems. Hope this helps, I will try to add a link aswell....

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

oooops, you have a 3.8l not a 3.4l very sorry for that!

Last edited by Sicilian; 05-01-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you sure it is the timing cover? If it is coolant it is not usually the timing cover it is usually the plastic hoses between the water pump and intake. If it is oil it could be the seal for the harmonic balancer. Clean the area really good and drive for a few to check the actual place of leaking.

Massey

Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear member

It's definitely coolent. The plastic elbows were replaced last year. My mechanic looked at the car today and told me it was the cover

Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sicilian
I don't know much, but from my skill, it goes like this.....

remove neg batt cable, remove belt, remove crank pulley, remove water pump(will have loss of fluids, recommend a rad drain first), the water pump bolts are also bolts that hold parts of the timing chain cover in place, remove timing chain cover. make sure all surfaces are clean and maybe some thread lock on all the bolts, then replace gaskets on the cover and pump, put back together in reverse.

If I am wrong in anyway i'm sure somebody will correct me with no problems. Hope this helps, I will try to add a link aswell....
Hey, I had a question on your instructions considering Im doing mine as well soon. When I take off the crank pulley, will I need to replace the front main seal? Or does just the pulley come off, and thats enough? Ii already planned on ordering the timing chain, sprockets, cover gasket, and water pump gasket. just making sure i dont need anything else.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 9434V6
Hey, I had a question on your instructions considering Im doing mine as well soon. When I take off the crank pulley, will I need to replace the front main seal? Or does just the pulley come off, and thats enough? Ii already planned on ordering the timing chain, sprockets, cover gasket, and water pump gasket. just making sure i dont need anything else.
don't forget you have to replace the crank bolt also, its a one time use bolt. you will also need some bolts for the crank pulley, none of the pullers you rent will come with the right bolts to pull it off.
no you dont have to replace the main but it makes since to cause you will have it off.

its very time consuming an a ***** sometimes, it took me and my dad with a 4 foot cheater bar to break my crank bolt losse.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
don't forget you have to replace the crank bolt also, its a one time use bolt. you will also need some bolts for the crank pulley, none of the pullers you rent will come with the right bolts to pull it off.
no you dont have to replace the main but it makes since to cause you will have it off.

its very time consuming an a ***** sometimes, it took me and my dad with a 4 foot cheater bar to break my crank bolt losse.
Thank you for the advice. I did the front main seal once before on my old camaro, and did the water pump gasket already on this one. My dad has some special tool that you crank the, well, crank bolt off with. but new hardware would probably be a good idea. i just remember that front main seal was a horrible disaster to do last time and was hoping i could avoid it. but if its coming out anyway, might as well do it.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear member

I have a guy telling me that coolant doesn't run anywhere past the timing cover gasket. Can anyone help me out?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

please do not jack threads.

Quick Reply: Timing chain cover