93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Thermostats....is it really important or is it

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thermostats....is it really important or is it

when i bought the car it never had one and i was driving it around for like a year until i decided to put a 180 degree one, lately early in the morning the car seems to heat up then rapidly decrease...ive change this thing like 3 times...may question is, is it really important?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Thermostats....is it really important or is it

you should try to flush your coolant system out and then try putting the thermostat in, our cars run at 220deg so it might not make much of a difference i mean my car has a 180 stat in it 2 and it will still go to 220 sometimes under stop and go conditions, but it will zoom right down once i get moving

Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member

i have notices that same thing. still im going to have to just take out the stat ( for now). ive also notices that during the day when the sun is high the temp seems to go higher and even when more ppl are in the car. just little things ive noted.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You said the temperature raises and then decreases. If it's not overheating, then the T-stat is doing its job. Most people think that a t-stat is there to keep the motor cool by opening when required. In fact, it's there to help the car warm up to operating temp by staying closed.

If I were you, I would flush the system then reinstall the stat as above recommended.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Droid

If the car is not moving the stat will open but the temp will continue to rise till the fans go on, around 220 deg. If the car is moving at a good clip, then the temp will hold at whatever the stat is set to, in your case 180 deg. Your cooling systemis working properly, relax & enjoy.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

well ill do the flush this weekend anyways and remove the stat (again for now)...its funny my fan seems to stay on all the time, it never turns off, idk thats how i bought the car. like ive posted on another post, theres a relay thats connected to the fan and from the relay to the ECU. if u want pics ill show u.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Droid

Removing the stat is a bad idea. The cooling system needs the stat to slow the flow of coolant. If the coolant flows too fast it cannot absorb as much heat from the engine as the system was designed to do, and has the same problem releasing heat to the radiator. The system was designed to have a thermostat.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:43 PM

What is that ugly Jap lettering on the hood of your car? That is seriously offensive to me. Why would you do that to a Camaro?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

o god.................AM A ANIME GEEK, GOD!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Its kinda like putting USA stickers on a Honduh........wrong....

Quick Reply: Thermostats....is it really important or is it