93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Symptoms of bad rack n pinon

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Symptoms of bad rack n pinon

Anyone know what symptoms you will have if the rack and pinion is going bad?

Occassionally, the steering wheel acts like it is catching on something when driving and a slight correction in path of travel is needed. With a little force, the steering wheel moves but will cause a jerk feeling in the stability of the car. Power steering fluid is topped off, pump is not whining or making noise and the car does not do this unless it is cold outside nor does it do this at idle sitting still. Any suggestions? Tire air pressue is good. New tires too.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear member

In my z28 when miy rack and pinion went bad it was very hard to steer at an idle, like when backing up in reverse. Felt like there was no power steering until you gave it a little gas.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Worn steering racks can develop a condition referred to as "morning sickness". Internal seal leakage causes the steering to be stiff or irratic when cold, but levels out to a more "normal" state after the system heats up and the seals expand. If that's what you're experiencing, your rack is shot and should be replaced.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Worn steering racks can develop a condition referred to as "morning sickness". Internal seal leakage causes the steering to be stiff or irratic when cold, but levels out to a more "normal" state after the system heats up and the seals expand. If that's what you're experiencing, your rack is shot and should be replaced.
Well, I guess that could describe it. Kinda like trying to steer and your knee catches the bottom of the steering wheel momentarially and may only do it once in a couple days. I was thinking maybe the power steering pump could be acting up or something like a ball joint or tie rod end binding. Just didn't know if there was a common symptom of the rack needing replaced.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
Well, I guess that could describe it. Kinda like trying to steer and your knee catches the bottom of the steering wheel momentarially and may only do it once in a couple days. I was thinking maybe the power steering pump could be acting up or something like a ball joint or tie rod end binding. Just didn't know if there was a common symptom of the rack needing replaced.

Sounds like the pump could be going bad. Have you checked the fluid?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The Morning sickness Camaro 69 described is about the only thing on the rack that can be fixed or atleast we use to fix it. There is a rebuild build kit that requires the removal of the Pinion and new seals installed. I have done dozens of GM racks I still have the GM required tools in my box.

Based on your discription I think the lower pinion bearing is coming apart. Its running more like a Cam then a bearing and giving you tight spots. It could be a Power steering pump but I would think you would hear something also the tight spot would be random. You could jack the car up and turn the wheels with the car off and no weight and see if it feels even stop to stop. If it has a tight spot it is a mechanical failer in the rack. Replace it. LS1 rack time

Last edited by Gorn; 12-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
The Morning sickness Camaro 69 described is about the only thing on the rack that can be fixed or atleast we use to fix it. There is a rebuild build kit that requires the removal of the Pinion and new seals installed. I have done dozens of GM racks I still have the GM required tools in my box.

Based on your discription I think the lower pinion bearing is coming apart. Its running more like a Cam then a bearing and giving you tight spots. It could be a Power steering pump but I would think you would hear something also the tight spot would be random. You could jack the car up and turn the wheels with the car off and no weight and see if it feels even stop to stop. If it has a tight spot it is a mechanical failer in the rack. Replace it. LS1 rack time
Ok. I jacked it up and checked turned the steering wheel from max left to max right but I had the engine running. It turned perfectly. I will do it again with the engine off and see what happens. Does the LS1 bolt right up?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes it is a direct bolt in. You can also grab the universal joints the LS1 uses to upgrade your "Rag joint".