93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

strange sound when car is turned on

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Default strange sound when car is turned on

I have a '97 camaro with about 88k miles on it
and whenever i turn it on there's this strange high-pitch ticking kind of sound. Not very loud, but definitely noticeable. It quiets and disappears after a while...but it's definitely not a normal sound.
Any thoughts on what it could be?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: strange sound when car is turned on

Does it do it only when the engine is cold or also when it is restared after it has warmed up? When was the belt changed last?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 PM

it doesn't do it AS BAD after it's warmed up..and honestly i dont' think any of the belts have been replaced in a while...which belt in particular could be making this sound?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

AHHH, I forgot what the 97 model has. I am not sure when they started using serpentine belts, in which case you would have only one belt. But it could be a bearing in a component such as the air pump. One of the other guys will jump in here in to help you out with this. I use a stethoscope to try to find noises like that but if you do that stay awaby from anything moving. Actuall a piece of tubing like PVC pipe can act as a stethoscpe. If you can isolate the more specific are that would help,,, keeping in mind sound in a vehicle travels and does not always come from where it sounds.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Yeah that might be kinda hard..lol
someone also told me that it could just be my oil..im gonna get it changed on thursday and see if maybe that helps

Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
4th Gear Member

mine started doing that before i sold it, i think my AC clutch was going bad, could also be idler/tensioner pullers. if it's more of a ticking sound, mite be a very minor exhaust leak, and when pipes warm up, metal is expanding just enough to cover the hole.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Yeah that's the one thing i hate about cars....when you have a problem it could be 2974298472984728 different things. Well the MAIN question i have is...well im going on vacation this week and i won't be able to have my car looked at until after i get back..but before i leave on sunday im gonna be driving kind of a lot so my car won't like break down on me will it???

Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Well at least you are not alone. We all have the same problems.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear member

subsides or changes after a certain amount of time. Check the amount of oil, and be sure that it's fresh. Low oil can cause poor lubrication and you can start hearing all sorts of taps, ticks, and slaps. And by the way, the best makeshift stethoscope is a screwdriver about a foot long that has a nice, fat blade on it. Place the blade on the valve covers, injectors, or whatever else you may suspect is making a noise, and place the plastic handle in your ear.

And yes, if your problem is anything I've stated, you should be fine to drive, but be sure to have it checked ASAP. If you do, however, break down, just keep in mind that no one has the power to predict that!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Great tip on using a screwdriver to check out strange sounds. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: strange sound when car is turned on