93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Starting problems..

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Starting problems..

Got a small problem, well its acually big because im scratching my head on this one.

Got another 4th Gen V6.
Its a 1994 Camaro with a 3.4 in it.
Has 135,XXX miles on her

Im just having starting problems. I was at first in the morning because of the winter cold so I changed the plugs and the wires, and she would fire up on the first time.

She was running a little rough (bogging) So I replaced the air filter, fuel filter and oil and trans fluid and filters and she was running fine.

My wife took my sister to work the other day and when she got home and we were gunna go run our errands she wouldnt start.

Earlier today I got her started by a couple sprays of cold start, and she started, and ran for a good while. When we were gunna go to her grandmothers today she wouldnt start again.

And now I cant get her started again.

She cranks but no start.

I got blue spark on all 6 plugs.
Got about 42 PSI going to the injectors
Ive cleaned out the TB where I can eat out of it if I wanted.
Replaced the IAC
Tune up

So im puzzled on this one.
Someone told me the relay for the pump could be bad. Or a blown Fuel pump fuse. Haynes manual says fuse is in the passanger compartment in the fuse block. But slap me stupid because I do not see one for it. And I cant find one anywhere.

Ive tried bypassing the relay just so it has a closed circut. And still nothing.

Any ideas on what to do?
I got some spare parts from a 96 3.8 that may or may not work on the 3.4 I havent crossed refferenced anything on that yet.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have u been able to get a scann on it for trouble codes? there is another fuse box under the hood on the driver side fenderwell. black box.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have spark and 42 psi fuel pressure forget about the fuses and relays cause the fuel pump is running. You need to check to see if you are getting signal to the injectors. You should use one of the plug in type noid light signal tester they sell at the parts store. A scan tool might also help to make sure the PCM knows the motor is cranking. It is also possible even with the blue spark it is not hot enough for a cold start.

Is there any codes? Is it acting funny in any other way? High idle warm?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No she isnt acting funny in another way. Just what I said previously how she is bogging.

Im not getting any trouble codes. No idiot lights come on or anything.
I'll see if I can borrow a scanner from one of the guys in the club and see if the injectors are getting a signal.

And craby the fuses and relays were the first thing I checked out of habbit.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Looks just like it was clogged injectors.
Put some cleaner in ther tank and she runs just fine, I can even do burnouts now lol..

Out of curiosity, what would stock LS1 injectors do to the 3.4? It wouldnt put too much strain on it would it?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamaroTeen
Looks just like it was clogged injectors.
Put some cleaner in ther tank and she runs just fine, I can even do burnouts now lol..

Out of curiosity, what would stock LS1 injectors do to the 3.4? It wouldnt put too much strain on it would it?
i think i read in an older thread that there is no benefit..

Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM

FYI, I had similar symptoms when my fuel pump was going out. It ran fine one day then the next had trouble starting, then mysteriously fixed itself. This happened for a month until it finally wouldn't start. Keep an eye at that fuel pressure gauge if you have any other troubles.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
4th Gear Member

There is no benefit to more fuel unless you can use it (cam or FI). In your case, larger injectors would get you nothing except a new expensive tune.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well Im still having starting problems.
She was fine today but died on the way home from walmart.

Got her started and then died finally had to have the car towed after 3 hours of screwing around with it.

Im not sure if its a sensor or the NSS on the side of the shifter or what.
Im thinkin about goin to pick a part and loading up my pockets with some injectors, a tps, iac and what not.
See if that helps any.

And im also wondering will a IAC from a 96 3.8 work with the 3.4?
Cuz I have one sitting in a drawer from when my 3.8 blew

Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 AM

I'd check the fuel pump voltage with the scanner and the fuel pressure if you can.

Quick Reply: Starting problems..