93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

starting problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default starting problem...

hey guys its been a while since ive been on here, and i have some issues with starting my car....
when in the beginning of the day i go to start my car to let it warm up from these cold temp. it starts fine, struggles a lil bit but i figured it was cause of the cold weather. well i will start driving, say ten miles and ill get to my destination. Ill shut the car off, and come back 5 minutes later and when i try to start my car, it turns over once or twice then i hear a click click click. so i turn the key off and turn the key on, wait for he fuel pump to turn off, then try again and same thing happens....usually on the thrid or fourth trying i do this is when the car starts...but when it dos start it sounds like it has a cam in it when it idles, or it will idle at 2k, or it will die...
ive been told that it sounds like a bad ground but in order to find that i would have to take apart my dash again and try to find it, cause i went through all the ones in the engine bay...
oh and my radio doesnt stay on when i turn the key off....idk if those problems are related or not....any help on this will be great...cause this issue has led me going to car lots and craigslist for a new car...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure your starter bolts are tight. the ones for the wires and the ones holding the starter in. have you cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 AM

Check the main wiring going to/from the battery, alternator, and starter.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
make sure your starter bolts are tight. the ones for the wires and the ones holding the starter in. have you cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends?

yeah im going to have to check those...although 6 months back i did install a sound system and when i ran the main power to the amp, i cleaned my battery terminals so i know those are good...its just so stinkin cold here hopefully tomorrow it will get warm enough for me to check...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick B
Check the main wiring going to/from the battery, alternator, and starter.

yeah ill have to check those too....

Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

whats the battery voltage gauge say? while running and when it wont start.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Thought about that, but the battery shouldn't be dead after its warmed up and after the alternator has just been charging it; it would be the opposite.

Could also be a bad sensor telling the ecu the incorrect cranking settings for that temperature?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

umm yah if everything is working correctly. that is not the case here. if the voltage is normal then im gona say test the starter could be it is heating up and failing.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Overdrive Member

the click x 10 thing makes me think that the battery may be dead or dying. Have that looked at. The ground that would cause starting issues is in the engine bay not under the dash. There are only 2 grounds I know of under the dash and they are both behind the kick panels so you dont have to remove the whole dash to get to them.

As for your RAP there are 3 main things that cause that to not work, First is the door pin switches. In your car from the factory they were on the cowl down near the lower hinge, and it is an actual pin switch. If the pin switches are the cause then usually the interior lights stay on for 20 mins before sutting off when you stop the car.
Corrosion can cause shorts and thus cause the failure as well. Remove the BCM from the car and inspect and clean with a toothbrush (not a wire brush) and some electrical contact cleaner. Now the last and most common is the solder joints on the board itself. Check this link out for info on fixing it

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/body-control-module-repair-52062/

Hope this helps.

Massey

Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
umm yah if everything is working correctly. that is not the case here. if the voltage is normal then im gona say test the starter could be it is heating up and failing.

yeah the voltage when i shut the car off is normal....it can be less than five minutes later and it desides not to start properly..

Quick Reply: starting problem...