93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Squealing Belts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Just Replaced the Alternator with a NEW (it says New and NOT Re-furbished) one, and the Squeaking has stopped, just a very tiny bit coming from the Tensioner Pulley, probably Replace that one next.
Now the only thing I can hear is the extremely loud Exhaust, which is going to be Replaced with a Magnaflow before Winter comes.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 PM

Hey Guys, so even though I Replaced the Alternator, the Tensioner Pulley is still squeaking.
I'm on Summits Site, but I'm not sure which I need..
Do I just need a New Pulley? Or do I need the Tensioner, and would that come with a Pulley, or is that another Item I need?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...7/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Thanks a lot guys!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so long as the bad bearing hasnt spun on the bracket, and it looks like the bearing is in the pully so thats all u should need. call the order in and ask em if it is. havent had to change one yet, knock on wood.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Hey Guys, just replaced the Tensioner Assembly with a new one from Gates, and the thing still squeaks! I'm guessing it's the Crank Pulley, which is the one right next to the Tensioner on the right, correct? So, if it is in fact the Crank, then I'll be replacing it with a new one, might as well get one thats Lightweight, any recommendation?
Thanks a lot!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Not necessarily, I had a new GM alternator (which are apparently rebuilt) installed and started getting a squeak... But in my case the belt is not new, but also not very worn -- most likely belt glazing?! Certain liquids that touch the belt can contribute to the issue (like spilled coolant, etc.)...

Originally Posted by craby
i think u answered ur question. alt bearing is most likely bad. the thin oil on it will help it to come apart. have it scanned for trouble codes before u unhook the battery if u havent already, abs check the sensors at the front spindles and there conections. also the wires that lead to them. the wires and conections are prone to failing.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-08-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM

The Belt's New, as soon as I spray some WD-40 on the Crank Pulley, what I believe to be the Crank Pulley, it stops squeaking for a bit.
I can't find any Lightweight Crank Pulleys, only Underdrive, which isn't necessary for a Daily Driver, also.. how hard is it to get that thing off? I'll buy an Impact Driver, probably good to have around the Garage anyways, but do I need some special tool?

Crank Pulley.. right?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i believe thats the water pump isnt it.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Maybe I Circled the wrong one.. dang..
The Crank is the one below it, no?
Either way.. is it hard to replace either of the two?

Last edited by stillettoDSM; 09-09-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, the one below is the crank pulley. But crank pulleys don't require replacement due to having a squeaky belt. I would remove the belt, soak ALL the pulleys down with brake cleaner, scrub them well with a tooth brush, and flush them again. Clean the belt while you're at it too. Btw, I prefer using the Goodyear Gatorback belt. Never had one of those squeak (that's one of their selling points).
And another thing, you CAN repack the bearing on the idler/tensioner pulley. I just did both of mine on the LT1. Mine were dry, and dry bearings fail, not too long after you hear them making noise.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Already replaced the Alternator, and the Tensioner Assembly, which I figured why not anyways since its so old, so it's gotta' be the Waterpump.
The Bearing is on the pump itself right? I can't just get another Pulley.. atleast that's what I'm seeing Online..
Also, is this a PITA Repair?

Quick Reply: Squealing Belts?