93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

squeaky trans maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default squeaky trans maybe?

so awhile ago i worked on my transmision and now theres this squeaking noise at first i thought it was like my serpintine belt and didnt think much of it but the otehr day i noticed the squeak goes away if i even barley push in on the clutch like even if im just resting my foot on it also anyone know howe to take the brake rotors off?? any help would be great

Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: squeaky trans maybe?

Just guessing but I would suspect your release (throw out) bearing. Did you replace it when you had the trans out?

Rotors just pull off. Front ones might be rusted in place but a couple sharp wacks with a good sized hammer will probably free them up. Rears might be hung up by the parking brake shoes and the lip that forms on the edge of the internal drum for the parking brake and/or rusted in place. Either way, if the hammer doesn't work, there is a puller you can rent to remove the rotors.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ya i put a new throw out bearing in so i dunno, and the rotors i tried whacking maybe ill try some liquid wrench or something by the way its a 3.4

Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Dont be afraid to use some muscle when you swing that hammer. Just be careful where you hit it. Look out for the studs, put lugs on to cover threads, hit close to the hub if not hit the hub, thats the best place.A deadblow hammer will do the trick. Hitting them from behind after really soaking them in penetrating fluid may help. Dump a two liter bottle of Coke on them, that stuff works great for eating rust, you should see what it does to your stomach linings.If that doesnt work, you can try (please using caution) a slow drive on your side street where there is NO TRAFFIC with the lugs loose. Try cutting the wheel back and forth to possibly break free your rotors. Bring a 4-way with you, maybe do it in a big parking lot.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Overdrive Member

The rotors, if rusted, can be a real SOB. Try some penetrating liquid and just simply pound away with a heavy headed hammer -- if they're that bad, you shouldn't care damaging them, just replace them... Murray's has a pretty good rotor policy if you get the long warranty ones... If you are using ceramic pads, you will likely grind or warp them enough to take advantage of their rotor warranty before it expires... YMMV

Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks ill try that im going to college in like a week and cant take my car so she'll be sitting for awhile before i get to the rotors proabblyu anyway also any ideas about that squeak? it sounds like someting spining thats squeaking and stops when i push in the clutch

Old 08-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Overdrive Member

It is the throwout bearing. Possibly misaligned? It will start to make that noise also if you "ride the clutch" constantly.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

anyway to fix it w/o taking the trans off?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm not sure. I don't believe so though.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Droid

Transmission has to come out in order to replace the release bearing becausethe bearingfits around the transmission input shaft.

Quick Reply: squeaky trans maybe?