93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

spark plugs, wires, and coils

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear member
Default spark plugs, wires, and coils

im going to change my plugs, wires, and coilsometime soon. i dont know if they have ever been changed on my car.i want some descentstufftho and i dont really know what would be the best way to go. ive heard msd wires are good, but i was hoping for some opinions. im looking for something that could maybe get me a little more hp. any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: spark plugs, wires, and coils

I'd get ngk tr55 plugs, just some oem good-quality wires, and leave your coils alone. Everyone's told me that the stock coils are better than the aftermarket ones. So unless your having problems, I wouldn't touch them.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear member

well my dad has a code reader and i just read the code on my car and it says random/multiple cylinder missfire. i think the problem is that the guy that owned the car before me never changed the plugs or wires and theyre just dying now. would just regular wires do as much as msd or something like that?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
4th Gear Member

My coils go bad after about a year but it's because I'm in the mountains and it's very humid here. I have to change them more than I do anything else...

And I'm a firm believer in AC Delco plugs and wires... They put them on there stock for a reason. The AC Delco iridiums i had in my car lasted over TWO years and I'm not exactly nice to my car lol. And their plug wires have always done great for me as well....

Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
4th Gear Member

An upgraded ignition won't do much unless you have a good amount of mods that would require it

Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't spend the money on msd wires. Just go to your auto parts store and get some quality plugs and wires. A bad plug could cause a misfire, or even a dead wire.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear member

well i was figuring if i was going to change the plugs and wires, i might as well change the coils. i really want something thats going to give me some extra hp not just some basic stuff thats available atautozone.how much is all of this going to cost me?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: evilkal

An upgraded ignition won't do much unless you have a good amount of mods that would require it
true, but i just dont have all the mods yet. i plan on doing a good bit more to it, so why not go ahead and get a better high performance ignition system?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:52 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: musicman

I'd get ngk tr55 plugs, just some oem good-quality wires, and leave your coils alone. Everyone's told me that the stock coils are better than the aftermarket ones. So unless your having problems, I wouldn't touch them.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Because it won't matter with basic mods... I'm running full bolt ons and still have the stock ignition system... And the coils and stuff won't matter if you still have the stock ICM... Plugs and wires are not going to give you any noticeable power boost either... Gas mileage, yeah there will be a big diff... You don't need an upgraded ignition until you go with heads, cam, and compression changes...

Quick Reply: spark plugs, wires, and coils