93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Soaked Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Soaked Carpet?

I live in Chicago, so when the snow melts off my car, the next day, my carpet in the back seat of my camaro will be soaked, and in some cases frozen. My buddy said my Drain holes might be clogged, but if I were to check it, would any of you know where I can find them?

Thanks,
MAYH3M

Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Soaked Carpet?

Is it t-top? My 97 did the same thing, if possible park pointing up a hill haha it will stop the leaking. The t-top drain holes are at the outside corners of the t-tops, one in front and one in back, they empty onto the rocker panel. It could be your hatch doesnt sit right also, i readjusted mine to close a little further down, it was a pain in the butt to close and open because it had to gently slammed lol but it kinda helped

Old 12-22-2007, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Actually, it isn't T-tops, but would you know where the other drain holes are?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:30 PM

goto one of the car washes that you can spray it yourself and take a buddy. Spray around the doors and windows and hatch. see if they are leaking. make him/her sit in the car so they get wet if there is a leak while you spray. If you can't find a leak then idk what to tell you. I've never heard of "drain holes" in a floor... it would work both ways they would let water in from the bottom as well as out.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 AM
2nd Gear member

Yes there are drain holes under the carpet but they are plugged with big rubber ring things. They wont let water in unless you are darn near boating in it haha.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, something's causing the leak. Is it easy to get underneath the carpet to take a peek?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Chances are it is not under the carpet, just take out your back seats, and set some paper in all over in that area, and then wash the car. Wherever the paper is wet, check above it and around it. Water wont come in from under the car unless therer is a large hole in the floor pan.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

Being from Chicago, I am sure just like here in the Northern Ma area you have plenty of snow. So seeing how its not a T-Top car you have to look @ all the possible areas. If you are a homeowner, have you ever heard of an ice damn? What happens is that when the snow melts and has nowhere to go it stays at the lowest point. So then it gets cold again and freezes. This causes a back up of ice which can get up under your wether stripping and cause a leak. I have a newer Dodge Ram and it sat all summer and from being stationary water sat in a low lying area and just seeped into the seal around my windshield. This has been the only time it has ever leaked. So, it could be a one time deal, or maybe its getting under your weather stripping. Pine needles and leaf gunk can clog up areas around windows and door seals, make sure thay are clean. Around door seals, you can use silicone sealant to soften them up so they work better, or any kind of Armoral or something like that. Hope this helps, Happy Holidays.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I think I actually may have found the problem while I was using Armor All Protectant wipes in the back seat. I saw a little patch of ice on the side step rail right underneath the door, so I investigated.

Found a Rectangular looking cut in the weatherstripping right between two plastic panels, leaving me to think that water slipped through one panel, through the weather stripping, through the next panel and down onto the carpet.

Not so sure how I'm going to fix a hole in my weather stripping though.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM

I have a hole that lets water in when it rains. It is the hole for the cable that pops the hood. It's a thick black cable on the left side of the engine.

Quick Reply: Soaked Carpet?