93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

shuddering as clutch engages

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear member
Default shuddering as clutch engages

2000 Firebird 3.8l 5 speed, when i let the clutch out until it is completely engaged it shudders, like the i can watch the shifter **** bouncing back and forth. Is this because im not giving enough gas as i let it out? It was hard to get used to this after a Z-28. However i beleive this is still the original clutch, and the car has about 102XXX on it. Should i just get it replaced?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: shuddering as clutch engages

sounds like not enough gas, like it's trying to stall?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

102k miles on the original clutch? It's lived a good life! If it isn't your driving technique, it sounds like the clutch disc could be worn to the point where you're starting to ride the rivets. When cruising out on the road, pop the clutch pedal in, rev the engine to between 4-5 grand and pop the clutch back out. If you don't feel it "grab" and it feels more like it's slipping quite a bit before it grabs, then it's time for a new clutch.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

102k miles on the original clutch? It's lived a good life! If it isn't your driving technique, it sounds like the clutch disc could be worn to the point where you're starting to ride the rivets. When cruising out on the road, pop the clutch pedal in, rev the engine to between 4-5 grand and pop the clutch back out. If you don't feel it "grab" and it feels more like it's slipping quite a bit before it grabs, then it's time for a new clutch.
my 96 had 138kmi on it when i sold it, with the original clutch, and never had any slippage, and the pedal was rock solid.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And a number of years ago, I test drove a 94 with a 3.4 v-6. It had mileage in the 70,000 range and the clutch was slipping (and chattering too by the way)! It all depends on how hard it was driven, and how many of those miles are highway miles. Clutches don't wear while it remains engaged. I have even seen many drivers using their clutch as a way to make the car "hang" on an incline at a stop light! Can you say pre-mature clutch wear?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

I had the similar problem in my 99 V6. It was the drivers motor mount. Part cost $9.99

Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

And a number of years ago, I test drove a 94 with a 3.4 v-6. It had mileage in the 70,000 range and the clutch was slipping (and chattering too by the way)! It all depends on how hard it was driven, and how many of those miles are highway miles. Clutches don't wear while it remains engaged. I have even seen many drivers using their clutch as a way to make the car "hang" on an incline at a stop light! Can you say pre-mature clutch wear?
i kinda do that, i let my car roll back then move up and keep doing that on a hill, sometimes i hang. and i did it for bout 15kmi and nada. my car was almost all highway miles, but theperson that owned before did beat on it somehwat, one of the selling points was a burnout he did.. and i know the kid who i sold it to, he put 10kmi on it already in 3months, it's still rock solid for him, only thing he's had to do to it is oil changes.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok turns out it was just me not giving it enough gas, i killed it today on a hill[:@]. Felt pretty f-in stupid. Anyway then the rattling sound turns out is my exhasut, the cat is all screwed up and the muffler is rusted out and some of the hangers on the exhaust arent real tight so it moves a little much. Ive only had the car for six weeks and hadnt ever gone to redline, it scratched pretty good in second and grabs real good so its obviously human error...

Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red94v6

Ok turns out it was just me not giving it enough gas, i killed it today on a hill[:@]. Felt pretty f-in stupid. Anyway then the rattling sound turns out is my exhasut, the cat is all screwed up and the muffler is rusted out and some of the hangers on the exhaust arent real tight so it moves a little much. Ive only had the car for six weeks and hadnt ever gone to redline, it scratched pretty good in second and grabs real good so its obviously human error...
yea, rattling is exhaust/heat shield. my starter's shield rattled on mine, so i took it off [8D]

Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Heat shields just need a couple quick spot-welds -- some shops will do it free if you're in for an oil change.

Quick Reply: shuddering as clutch engages