93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Should I mod my 3.4 or swap in an lt1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Should I mod my 3.4 or swap in an lt1

I honestly dont have a couple grand to do a swap so i was thinking about modding my v6. you know the standard k&n air intake, Cam/Lifters/Valvetrain, Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Pacesetter headers and that sort of thing. What would you guys suggest. Im really kind of ugh with my car at the moment because i love the fast and the furious movies and i would kill to be given a couple of grand and an eclipse to mess with. But i want to make something that is kind of fast and make it amazing. So that i can beat those eclipse **** blockers. I would love for my camaro to make it past at least 230 hp. Is that possible for a 3.4 v6?

Thanks, Chris

Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

with full bolt-ons, cam, tune, and maybe some headwork it can be done..dont forget a ls1 drive shaft and gears for less weight and slightly more rwhp

Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by project blackjack
with full bolt-ons, cam, tune, and maybe some headwork it can be done..dont forget a ls1 drive shaft and gears for less weight and slightly more rwhp
Would you suggest taking the whole rear end out of a ls1 or just the gears? And for the drive shaft would i need to fab up any application for that or will it just bolt right up? And im not completely dumb when it comes to engine internals but how would i go about doing head work? i never did an engine before.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Overdrive Member

The driveshaft requires no modification, regardless of what anyone says. Take off the old, and put the new one on. As for the rear, most just get the whole rear off a V8 car, as it has a limited slip, and disc brakes. As for the heads, here is an article (I realize from another site) that talks about the different manifolds and heads that can be used on the 3.4. http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=64963

Old 09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
The driveshaft requires no modification, regardless of what anyone says. Take off the old, and put the new one on. As for the rear, most just get the whole rear off a V8 car, as it has a limited slip, and disc brakes. As for the heads, here is an article (I realize from another site) that talks about the different manifolds and heads that can be used on the 3.4. http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=64963
Damn dude thats a lot of info but it helps alot thanks.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

So if i wanted to go and get some "3400" heads i could just bolt them up and away id go? Or would i need other things. Becase i could go to pullapart right now and they have 5 1999 grand am cars up there. Would i need anything else to bolt up with them?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like you'd need an intake manifold from the same car as well. The one on your car is pretty restrictive too. If you plan on doing this, I would make it a weekend project. That way if you come across some stuff you are missing, you can take your time and not feel rushed.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you'd need an intake manifold from the same car as well. The one on your car is pretty restrictive too. If you plan on doing this, I would make it a weekend project. That way if you come across some stuff you are missing, you can take your time and not feel rushed.
I was looking taht up right as i read your post. Would the 3400 intake manifold bolt up to where my 3.4 sfi manifold was? I was looking for some heads too. Would they bolt right up? And How would i install the roller rockers onto my camaRO? Just replace the stock rockers?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Overdrive Member

From what I have read, everything should bolt right up. You may need the fuel rail from the Grand Am, I'm not sure though. As for the rockers, the heads you get should have some in/on them (assuming you pulled them off yourself). You would need some new rocker bolts, as most from the factory are a "one time use only".

Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Question

From what I have read, everything should bolt right up. You may need the fuel rail from the Grand Am, I'm not sure though. As for the rockers, the heads you get should have some in/on them (assuming you pulled them off yourself). You would need some new rocker bolts, as most from the factory are a "one time use only".
So i couldn't use the rocker bolts that are already in the head? What would happen if i tried?

Quick Reply: Should I mod my 3.4 or swap in an lt1