93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Service Engine Light...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Default Service Engine Light...

My service engine light will randomly come on. It doesnt come on though when I am slamming on the gas, It will come on when I am going to slow down. I dont know if there is a sensor loose in there but it runs fine. I just changed the oil and everything not to long ago. And yes I tighten the gas cap enough to where that wouldent be the problem...Any Ideas?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Service Engine Light...

Get the PCM scanned & see what it is complaining about. It may just be something important.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Well everytime I turn off the car it goes away...Its so wierd..Then when I turn it back on it wont come back on for a good while...

Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Yea, go invest in an Autoxray 6000 model, find one on ebay -- it's a good thing to have around... Works for me! Split the price with a family member or two -- then ya can share it...

http://www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=94

ORIGINAL: 93CamaroGirl

My service engine light will randomly come on. It doesnt come on though when I am slamming on the gas, It will come on when I am going to slow down. I dont know if there is a sensor loose in there but it runs fine. I just changed the oil and everything not to long ago. And yes I tighten the gas cap enough to where that wouldent be the problem...Any Ideas?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks I will have to look into that. I mean we have 3 chevys at my house anyways!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear member

The smartest idea, for now, would be to drive your vehicle to Autozone for a free OBDII scan. They'll be able to tell you exactly the code and offer a brief description. Write down the code and let us know for any further help. It doesn't matter if the light is on or not, because the code will have been stored in the PCM memory.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes, ONLY IF this is a 1996 or newer Camaro, if older, Autozone has NADA for OBD-I, and she is "93CamaroGirl"... ;-)

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

The smartest idea, for now, would be to drive your vehicle to Autozone for a free OBDII scan. They'll be able to tell you exactly the code and offer a brief description. Write down the code and let us know for any further help. It doesn't matter if the light is on or not, because the code will have been stored in the PCM memory.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Exactly. Either way, she needs a scan.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i experienced the same thing and still do. i had it looked at and was told that my egr valve is on the fritz and thats the cause. and like you, it doesnt come on all the time. comes on only when i get on the gas. maybe that helped maybe not. either way good luck

Old 04-26-2007, 11:43 AM

Yeah thanks. I mean I changed the spark plugs not to long ago. And we took off the egr to see if it looked ok. And it did. I just need to find somewhere that has an OBDI scanner. Thanks a lot guys!

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light...