93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Running Rich....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Running Rich....

Well, I got my engine back together. When I start it it's very hard to start and runs rough when it does start. I also have black smoke out of the exhaust.

I unplugged my coolant temp sensor and there was no difference with how the car started or idled. I was told that it was the coolant temp sensor.

Is this right, or should I check something else. The vacuum lines are connected properly.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

Temp sensor don't matter until the engine has reached a certain temp. Black smoke means to much gas. How are you injectors? Check those vaccuum lines as well. Did you do anything to your timing?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 AM
2nd Gear member

I didn't touch the timing. I did however leave the injectors soaking in Seafoam for 3 weeks before putting them in the car. The vacuum lines look good too.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Droid

Sea Foam strikes again.
Black smoke does indicate a rich mixture, but could also be caused by misfire. Pull the plugs and check them out, also make sure the ignition wires go to where they are supposed to go.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I wonder if soaking them in seafoam wasn't a good idea. I've had several mechanics say it's good that I soaked them though?
I'll check though the wires and sensors again. I bought a new coolant temp sensor and I'll put that in too. Worth it for $15.00.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, she's still sending fuel out of the exhaust. The car sarted better though and ran ok for a few seconds then it started running rough again. I changed the coolant temp sensor. I'll let it run longer outside tomorrow and hopefully it'll settle.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd let it run for awhile at an idle to get all that sea foam out of your system. That should clear it up. It could take awhile though.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Overdrive Member

did you replace all the injectors or just the messed up looking ones?

Did you get your CMS plugged back in. I noticed that was a hard to see sensor and also in an easy to forget location. If the CMS is not plugged in all the injectors will fire at once in a limp home mode but you will run rich. GM has the fail safe maps for the fuel set to slightly rich to prevent damage to the engine.

Make sure that rubber Y for the vacuum lines is sealing good or that will throw everything off as well.

Hope this helps

Massey

Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear member

What is the CMS? Everything looks plugged in correctly. I double-checked and all the vacuum lines are plugged in correctly.

I'll let it run for awhile and see if my SES light comes on too.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm at a loss now. I started the car and it ran like normal. White smoke was coming out of the exhaust probable from Seafoam.

Then I shut it off for awhile. Started it up and it was running rough with black smoke out of the exhaust and it was dying. I'm thinking one of my sensors is off? MAP? MAF? IAC? I'm not 100% sure which ones affect fuel delivery directly. But it's running rich.

Quick Reply: Running Rich....