93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Resurfaced Head has a chip possibly from valve spring compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Resurfaced Head has a chip possibly from valve spring compressor?

Resurfaced Head Chip from Valve Spring Compressor - Album on Imgur

I have had these things sitting wrapped in towels for a few weeks now while Ive been unable to work on it.. totally undisturbed and I went this weekend to clean the intake/exhaust sides with a razor and noticed this chip. The last thing I did with it was rent the C clamp valve spring compressor about 2-3 weeks ago and change out the valve stem seals. I used a towel on this side in between the tool and the surface.. so idk how the hell this happened. Please tell me that this isnt a show stopper.. Its like.. 1 mm(if that) deep and likely the same in length. You can see a little circle indention there.. If this is game over I am going to be heartbroken.. Somebody tell me Im being too **** and to just use a tiny little bit of RTV in the spot then smooth it over before putting the gasket on it.. or something like that lol.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A little nick like that isn't going to affect anything, no need to fill it either. Now, this is as long as all it is a nick. With that said, why am I seeing a perfect circle shape connected to it though? In one of the pictures the nick looks like a flaked off spot, the whole area resembles a welded shut hole? What I'm seeing could just be pictures playing tricks, you should be able to tell better on your end. Does that area line up to any holes on the head gasket?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

No. Thats why my guess was the C clamp valve spring compressor. It was not only padded on that end of the compressor.. but I also used a towel there as well and had an extra set of hands helping me do it. I dont remember this happening at all. It was similar to this, albeit a little different.

Valve C Clamps Spring Compressor Repair Tool for Car Motorcycle Automotive HE8 | eBay

Its 1 mm deep and 1 mm wide and it lies along the circular shape you see. I really hope its nothing to worry about but part of me thinks.. well **** will that whole circular area give out? This is not a performance vehicle just a daily driver. It also is kind of in the area on the head that seems relatively neutral meaning not much looks like it goes on there. its just the flat surface in between the holes and in between the pistons.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats a gasket surface so you should be good to go. if it was in the cylinder area you would have a problem. looks like a rock or something was under the clamp or it got set down on something hard and sharp, may be you just clamped over it.

Last edited by craby; 05-18-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Yah that's probably a good point. Yall are doing gods work here, craby, camaro69, gorn, garydoug. You guys set my mind at ease every time. Yall have my utmost respect and admiration

Last edited by ztwentyate; 05-18-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 AM
4th Gear Member

head gasket will seal that bad boy. No need to concern yourself

typical, TIG is late to the party