93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

really big problem HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Default really big problem HELP!!!!!

Hello i have a 1999 chevy camaro with a 3.8 L v6. I changed the plugs and wires in it and now it wont stay running all the time. It will start and run fine once every 10 or so starts. Plug wires are installed correctly, checked multiple times.. When it starts will drive around, when brought back and shut off, it will start but gets REDUCED ENGINE POWER LIGHT. Enigine will not rev over 3000 rpms and will die if let idling too long, it stuters and sounds bad.. When throttle is pushed, throttle bady does not open completly or not at all. Have replaced EGR valve, and checked all wires for good connection and continuity. Checked temp sensor for corrosion and is ok. Checked for vaccum leaks and didnt find any. Took to advnace auto and ran test on it and came back with EGR valve bad. But valve works good. Need help, thanks.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: really big problem HELP!!!!!

i will tell u this mutch it sounds like a timing problum to me or plug wires arent getting a good conection
well the best of luck hope u get it fixed

Old 07-18-2005, 06:26 AM

Maybe if you have checked everything, the security chip in your key is bad and cutting off power to your engine. (those chips are designed to turn the engine off, i believe). Have you tried using a spare key?

I had a problem very recently on my 96 camaro 3.8L. Trust me, if you are going to take it to a mechanic, make sure he one that defiantly knows what he/she is doing.

LISTEN TO MY STORY, I HAD ALMOST THE SAME PROBLEM AND I ENDED UP PAYING OVER $1000 FOR A NOT-SO-EXPENSIVE PROBLEM!!

It started when my 'service engine soon' light came on and blinked sometimes, usually on acceleration. The car would stall and spudder, I took it to auto zone (they will hook it up to the computer for free) and he said it was a 4th cylinder misfire. I knew the pistons were not bad because it didn't missfire all the time, just about half the time (closer to all the time right before i finally got it fixed.)

I first replaced the spark plugs and wire with Bosch plugs, Note: This is a hard job on camaro 3.8s! Those plugs are hard to get to!

This did not do anything, so I bought brand new fuel injectors for the car and had them installed by a mechanic. This did not fix the problem either.

I replaced all 3 ignition coils, this produced no change.

I took my car back to the mechanic that installed my injectors, I told him what was happening and he had my car for about 7 days, and told me he checked everything (plugs, wires, injectors incase any were bad, etc) and couldn't find anything wrong. He told me it may be an electrical problem and the computer may need reprogramed, but he couldn't do it because the dealership he worked for was not a GM dealer.

That day I took the car to the dealership next door of the one it had been at and took the mechanic for a ride. He could tell that the car was missing alot, and told me he could get to the car in 2 days. Two days later, he called and said the car was running fine again, the bill said this:

A Check Engine Miss On Acceleration. Advise
699 Traced
Ign., Fuel, Module, Wiring, Connections, Sensor, R and Plugs. Found Bosch Plugs In Car, Replaced with G.M. Plugs

Decarbonized Air Intake and Fuel System, Removed Carbon Off Back Of Intake Valves.

He also charged me for detergent and cleaner.

375$ (for just that last mechanic).

Now I don't know if any of this sparks a light in your brain, but I am defiantly no mechanic. I hope some of this can help you. Here is a list of what i heard from various people of what may have been wrong with my car:

1. Injectors.
2. Plugs and Wire.
3. Coil.
4. Wiring/Computer needs reprogramed.
5. Security chip in key is bad, cutting off power to the engine. (expecially if 'security' light also comes on)
6. Water in gas tank.

I would have the car looked at before buying anything, unless you are sure what it is.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:03 AM

check the pressure control valve, mine kinda did the same thing maybe check it out good luck see ya