93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Really that bad?

So I know there are plenty of spark plug threads, but here is one more.

I didnt want to deal with installing em myself, so I went to my local chevy dealer. And the price they gave me for installation was bout $210.00 (I have the cables and plugs already). And the guy said, "ya sorry, its only that much because that car is such a ***** to work with,"

So I must look like a total tool, or they really dont like doing it.

I know it sucks to do, but no place around me (Northern Denver) wants to do it cheap, is it really that bad, I know I dont want to do it, just because Im just lazy right now.

But should it really cost that much? I know its bad, but is it really that bad?

Old 12-09-2006, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Really that bad?

Most shops I've seen are getting $70 or more per hour so that would equal about 3 hrs .... ???? I know I can change my plugs in less time then that. The key is a good spark plug scoket. I use 2, one a Snap On with a ball joint attachment and one straight one, and 3 different length extensions. They can all be done from the top too. The hardest part is getting the wire connectors off the plugs.

Where you made your mistake was to bring in your own parts. Shops make more 'pure' profit from parts sales then labor. And they are going to make up that bottom line some how.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Really that bad?

yea, the guy was right, it is a ***** to work on. it took me 2.5 hrs to change my plugs ans wires the other day. the engine is packed so tight in there i couldnt get around. but i went to a local shop to get a price quote and he wanted $110, much better than your price but still high. if you have the time, it may be worth doing it yourself. just be prepared for a few busted knuckles and a lot of frustration.