93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

ram air

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 PM
4th Gear Member
Default ram air

i have a ss hood w/ slp cold air induction... is there such thing as too much air? the slp thing makes my filter dirty real fast so i know it is sucking up a lot of air... should i delete one (slp) cause the hood was a lot more lol. now about a cat back, i have the flowmaster. will the magnaflow be louder at all. just yes or no question. i already looked at the other posts and it doesnt really say.
the flowmaster one isnt that loud at all.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: ram air

(by the way its a 98 v6 3800.)

Old 03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

i have a ss hood w/ slp cold air induction... is there such thing as too much air? the slp thing makes my filter dirty real fast so i know it is sucking up a lot of air... should i delete one (slp) cause the hood was a lot more lol. now about a cat back, i have the flowmaster. will the magnaflow be louder at all. just yes or no question. i already looked at the other posts and it doesnt really say.
the flowmaster one isnt that loud at all.
The point of the Ram air is to get as much air as possible & get the air moving into the engine as fast as possible w/out using forced induction. The air flow is good for the engine & give it better HP. I dont believe there is such thing as "to much air" for an engine.

I dont know about the muffalers, i havent had exsperence with either one, but it would seem like it wouldnt be that big of a difference between the two.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:36 AM

I was just curious on the topic of forced induction...the whole purpose of turbo's superchargers and such is to force air into the engine...i see post on turbos like will my car handle 6psi and such...so what i was thinking is...is it possible to rig a compressed air tankup in the same fashion that a turbo's air is introduced to the engine...an average air tank holds well over 100psi...perhaps you could use it like NOS ...when your looking for that little extra boost..open flip a switch and let the air flow....??? this is strictly hypithetical...im always thinking of different ways to do things.

Morthose

Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so uhh..you plannin on throwin in 100 psi eh?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 AM

like i said its pure curiousity i wouldnt even try...so dont be getting your panties in a bunch...but in theory it should work....and no i wouldnt put in 100psi...thats just the holding capacity of most portable tanks...you can adjust the output on them....but once again in theory all a turbo or a supercharger does is force air into the engine useing power from the motor (supercharger) or exhaust (turbo)....an air tank wouldnt have to draw on the cars power constantly...or if you fill it previously not at all.

Morthose

Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yea sounds like a great idea if you dont put 100 psi in at once lol; it would be super cold air too if it was in a pressurized tank like that

Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Only problem would be that the set up, tanks and modifications would cost about as much as a turbo or supercharger. . . .

Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 AM

well a turbo and installing it would run you into the thousands...while a tank cost 300 for a good one maybe? and directing the air into the intake would just be a matter of piping...other than that i dont see any other cost other than maybe some kind of device for releasing the air...which could be done similiar to nos.

Morthose

Old 03-23-2007, 04:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

I dunno, theres lots of things that sound good on paper that turn out to have a lot of problems once they make them. but who knows, maybe you will try it & get a patent and be selling them as a millionare. If you do, dont forget how much i supported you idea while you were developing it[sm=nxsmile.gif]