93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default problems!!

so my friend is driving my car to the ranger's game today and coming over a bridge and all of a sudden the check gauges light comes on, oil pressure is dropping and we am decelerating. not fun! we pull over, turn it off and check it out. no smoke, no big fluid leak/spill, and oil level is sitting at full. so we try to start the car, it starts, idles for a bit and then pressure drops again and car dies. then it will turn over but not start. anyone know what it might be? i have a couple things in mind such as oil pump, fuel pump or just dirty/clogged fuel filter. i need help! please and thank you

Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what yr and model?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

2001 v6 base model

Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM

same thing happened to me a while ago and i had a new fuel filter put in and that made it work for about a week but it happened again so i got a new fuel pump and that made it work perfect. I also recommend some fuel injector cleaner just put some in when you fill gas and use premium or midgrade 1 or 2 times to get better gas in it. theres a possibility it just has bad gas.

when replaces fuel pump you can drop the whole rear-end and do a ton of work or what i did, drill a hole through the trunk and the fuel pump is right there for a 20 min job change.

fuel pumps are expensive too it sucks but the guy at advanced auto parts said its a common thing in this model idk whyy good luck man tell me how it goes

Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

new fuel filter didn't help i tried that first. i have heard a lot about the fuel pump and that's what i'm leaning towards might be the problem. the "trap door" to get to the pump seems like the easy way to go, no need in risking messing something up by dropping the rear-end and blah blah blah. so ill see what i can do and go from there. i need my car, school starts back in 5 days! thanks, you were a big help! more or less confirmed my idea

Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i changed out the fuel pump using the fantastic trap door that was the problem, just not getting any fuel to the engine. oh well its all up and running now, anyone have any ideas on putting the medal back? the position of it made me actually have to cut a section out. so any suggestions? liquid weld maybe? or mighty putty?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go to Menards or Home Dopey and get a piece of sheet metal. Cut it larger than the opening, pre-drill some holes in the patch piece, seal it with silicone and screw it in place. Little self-drilling screws and a screw gun works well. Here's how mine turned out.

Name:  _91Camaro_Tank_AccessPanel_Cropped.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  17.5 KB

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-20-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear member

im with 69 then you can cut off the silicone and un screw it next time it goes out

Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that turned out good, looks clean and not tacky. i like it a lot. thanks for the idea, it looks a lot better than what mine does right now, but i already covered it with carpet and whatnot. guess ill just have to wait until i change the carpet to cover it. thanks again! y'all are awesome help

Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Go to Menards or Home Dopey and get a piece of sheet metal. Cut it larger than the opening, pre-drill some holes in the patch piece, seal it with silicone and screw it in place. Little self-drilling screws and a screw gun works well. Here's how mine turned out.

That's one of the cleanest looking arrangements I've ever seen, most people do a hack job and it looks like crap.

Quick Reply: problems!!