93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Problem Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Default Problem Accelerating

I have recently been having problems accelerating. When I try to too quickly it bogs down really badly almost as though its missing on half the cylinders, and my RPMs start going crazy. First gear is fine but the rest are bad. I don't know if this is the clutch or transmission going out or if it is engine related. I have a mass air flow sensor going bad and don't know if this could be the case. Also i need to fix my transmission mount. When i got it the bracket it sits on was hit by something and it damaged the mount. I don't know if this could also be the issue? Also when i get up to speed it is fine, it is just when i am accelerating.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep deal with the maf problem. test/check catalytic converter

Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 PM

ok the car does not have a CAT on it. The previous owner must have taken it off when it got plugged up. But does it matter that it does not bog down or anything if the car is in neutral? It only does this when it is in gear and i am accelerating. It will also do it if i am on a highway and have it on cruise control going over a hill or something.. Whenever the engine is put under a load it will do it. This is why i was worried it could be in the trans or clutch. Just a thought. But I will pull the MAF to see if it is dirty, try cleaning it and if that doesn't work ill get a new one, just don't want to unless i have to they are pretty pricey.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

use maf cleaner, not carb cleaner or starter fluid. so the exhaust is flowing fine? sometimes if the cat goes to pieces it can plug the muffler. check your fuel pressure.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 AM

I plan on getting some MAF cleaner tomorrow and cleaning that off and see where that leaves me. And i have some holes in the exhaust where they bypassed the CAT and i have not gotten that fixed yet but i can feel a good amount of exhaust coming out of the rear and the holes so i don't think that is the issue. Also some other problems that I have had with it and idk if they are related or not. Sometimes the car will stall out when i take it out of gear at high speeds. The RPMs will drop, my lights will dim and on some occasions it will stall out, not every time though.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 AM

Also I am kind of concerned if it is the clutch going out. The 'bogging' of the engine feels like when you are just learning a manual and you don't shift into first correctly and it is kind of jerky. But my RPMs are jumping when it happens to so it could be in the engine? Im just thinking worse case scenario and was wondering how likely that that is the issue or if it wouldn't be the clutch since the RPMs are messing up too?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

clutch slipping will make rpms go high when throttle up.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Ok.. so today I went got some cleaner and cleaned it off. It was pretty dirty and it cleaned it all (MAF). Thought I had it but its still doing it and it is getting worse. Went to auto zone and had the codes pulled (this was before i reset the computer after i cleaned the MAF)
Codes:
P0102 MAF low input
P0155 Oxygen sensor Bank 2 sensor 1
P1406 EGR Valve (was at 10% of expected position)
P0336 Crankshaft position sensor

I also noticed some backfiring when i was trying to accelerate so maybe it is the exhaust? I am stumped at this point.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the wiring to the crank sensor. going to have to deal with the maf. it can mess things up and cause other issues. bank 2 is passenger side, sensor 1 is precat and could be failing because of the maf failing. pull 02s and check for fouling. if they are all black then replace or could try cleaning. use blue flame heat, i use acetylene torch. heat only the sensor end that goes inside the exhaust. don't want to heat the wire end. burns the carbon off pretty good. only works a time or two though.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Could the EGR valve be a cause too? or is that something that a bad MAF would cause to malfunction.

Quick Reply: Problem Accelerating