93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

possible LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

in ny all emissions parts are required to be there 95 and older 96 and up the need to work but i knew a mechanic that would print me legal stickers without even looking at the car i lived in the country

now in sc there is NO emissions tests

Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
in ny all emissions parts are required to be there 95 and older 96 and up the need to work but i knew a mechanic that would print me legal stickers without even looking at the car i lived in the country

now in sc there is NO emissions tests
In NY - '96 and up, there's an actual computer check to see if there are any codes. Then again, with good tuning software, those codes could go bye-bye. And because of the computer check, most techs don't bother checking the rest...

Heck, I've had my rear O2's off on my Monaro for years, as well as running lean-cruise... haven't failed an inspection yet.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

i live in memphis and they dont check under the hood, or mess with the OBDII plug, they shove a probe in your tailpipe, check the bulbs, ect, and all that jazz, mine failed once cause i have halo lenses and i have 8000k hids, they said that it wasnt OEM. put my stock bulbs in and passed,

im curious to know why would long tubes make you fail? i mean if you have cats on it you should be fine?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998camarossclone
i live in memphis and they dont check under the hood, or mess with the OBDII plug, they shove a probe in your tailpipe, check the bulbs, ect, and all that jazz, mine failed once cause i have halo lenses and i have 8000k hids, they said that it wasnt OEM. put my stock bulbs in and passed,

im curious to know why would long tubes make you fail? i mean if you have cats on it you should be fine?
From what I know - long tubes on certain cars in California can make you fail because the cats aren't in stock location. But for the 4g F-body, I don't think that's an issue.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 AM
4th Gear Member

dude...seriously...gm put the egr there for a reason, like gorn said, alot of states mandate that all emissions including egr must be intact.

second off, im not on here to prove that i can weld. and for you, fyi my boss makes headers also. i know how much stainless stell is while were on the subject.

and lastly where do you get off saying im on crack? i was kicking around a idea, i never said that i was going to do it, you need to lighten up on here, i mean you can post pics of your fff headers oh yea YOU DONT HAVE ANY! sooo....id suggest that you kick it dont a notch dude
Two out of three are incorrect. Good try though.

My point about the EGR is that from a performance standpoint, EGR is useless and therefor pointless to add on to longtubes considering you automatically fail having them. You can throw EGR on long tubes but the second they see that they are longtubes, you fail. The second they sniff your exhaust, you fail. Did you think about these things?

FFF long tubes are going onto my car along with an M90 made by a certain well known person in the V6 world.

And to Liberty. The longtubes will cause the car to run very rich causing it to fail any sniffer test and if you tune for 14.7 to pass, the valves will revolt after a couple weeks =P

I'd suggest you really consider what you're WANTING to do... I said you're on crack because it's a novice idea at best and YOU PERSONALLY don't know anything about making headers I would say. I never said anything about welding experience. Not to mention you have zero experience in it.

Crazy idea that won't work so I'm going to be rough with it. Sue me for being honest. You get called out and you throw a ***** fit every time. I think that in itself is quite hilarious.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
Two out of three are incorrect. Good try though.

My point about the EGR is that from a performance standpoint, EGR is useless and therefor pointless to add on to longtubes considering you automatically fail having them. You can throw EGR on long tubes but the second they see that they are longtubes, you fail. The second they sniff your exhaust, you fail. Did you think about these things?

FFF long tubes are going onto my car along with an M90 made by a certain well known person in the V6 world.

And to Liberty. The longtubes will cause the car to run very rich causing it to fail any sniffer test and if you tune for 14.7 to pass, the valves will revolt after a couple weeks =P

I'd suggest you really consider what you're WANTING to do... I said you're on crack because it's a novice idea at best and YOU PERSONALLY don't know anything about making headers I would say. I never said anything about welding experience. Not to mention you have zero experience in it.

Crazy idea that won't work so I'm going to be rough with it. Sue me for being honest. You get called out and you throw a ***** fit every time. I think that in itself is quite hilarious.
well like i said, it was just a idea to make some extra money, my boss is like god with headers

Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Question

M90? What's that?

Are you speaking from experience about the LT's and tuning to pass emissions with valve problems? I have not heard that. Must be something specific to this engine, as obviously LS1s are tuned to pass emissions regularly and you don't hear of valve failures... What is the remedy, some internal upgrades?

Originally Posted by evilkal

Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Arrow

Here is some external perspective on this thread from Clear Image Automotive, who makes shorty V6 Camaro headers:

"I just read through the thread. There i always interest but no one ever wants to pay what it would cost to produce them. The last post hit the nail on the head. In order to design the headers and Y-pipe, build fixtures, make bending patterns, bending numbers, etc just to be able to build a production set, it will cost a shop, like mine, thousands of dollars and weeks of time. An individual, hundreds of dollars and months of time without the ability to reproduce accurate bends.

I wish him luck but experience, and history with the V6 community, have shown me the interest will vanish as soon as the actual price is released. That guys target price for stainless is not realistic at all. Not unless he is going to front the bill for a couple hundred sets ordered from China.

I have been through it enough times, working up numbers, spending time on quotes, trying to show the community WHY long tube headers cost so much for your vehicle. All a waste of time. we can always do custom headers but now you're looking at $2000.00 for ceramic coated mild steel headers installed on the vehicle plus another $250.00 to $450.00 for the Y-pipe, depending on converters."

well like i said, it was just a idea to make some extra money, my boss is like god with headers

Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

While making new set may be not worth it, buying a set and modding them into something might be worth it. If you took advanced orders and added the EGR hookup it might be a lot more doable then all new set headers. You would want to do atlease one set before taking order so you know what your in for.

Where I live they do not sniff exhaust but they do require an EGR valve to be present. The type of manifold is not part of the inspection so Long tube headers with a EGR and a tune so a code is not set will pass even the toughest inspectors.

Keep thinking entrepreneur and you will some day be one. Just try to make a manufacturing engineer as a friend

Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 AM
4th Gear Member

Can I ask the point of long tubes if you're wanting to stay emissions legal? Gorn you know as well as I that it's a PITA to get long tubes to run a decently lean AFR... Hell the first time I hooked mine up I went down to like 10.3 AFR... Can't wait to get that M90 on there in the spring

Quick Reply: possible LT headers