93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Possible bad ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Also, The PCM is under the windshield on the drivers side. The igniton control module is the flat piece that the coils are mounted on. I would also check the wiring harness connector that is screwed into the back of the ICM if anyone has been messing around with that to make sure that no pins are bent or broken.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the key just in the "on" position, it's a normal mode for the check gauges light and check engine light to be on, the other diagnostic lights etc. will turn off. Once the engine is started, those two lights will turn off, provided you don't have an error code that is tripping the SES light. (at least, that's what mine does)

Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks a lot guys. Maybe you guys can help me out in ny other thread? My main question is, how do I know if my pcm/ecu is out? Cause I've diagnosed almost everything and I am still getting no spark at all...

Old 10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Droid

[quote= One more question... PCM is the same as an ECU but what is the right term to use? Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it![/quote]

PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and ECU (Engine Control Module) are not the same thing. The PCM controls both engine and transmission, the ECU controls the engine only. Your car uses a PCM.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Droid

Your car uses a PCM (Powetrain Control Module), which controls both engine and transmission, among other items. A good scanner will indicate if the PCM is good or not, but you could always swap the PCM out with a good one & see if it makes a difference, and make yourself happy.

From ALLDATA
Ignition Control Module (ICM) and Ignition Coils The ICM performs the following functions:
  • The ICM supplies a power and low reference circuit to the CMP and CKP sensors.
  • The ICM determines the correct direction of the crankshaft rotation, and cuts spark and fuel delivery to prevent damage from backfiring if reverse rotation is detected.
  • The ICM determines the correct coil triggering sequence, based on how many 18 X ON-OFF pulses occur during a sync pulse. This coil sequencing occurs at start-up, and is remembered by the ICM. After the engine is running, the ICM will continue to trigger the coils without the CKP input.
  • The ICM inputs 18 X and 3 X reference signals to the PCM.
  • The 3 X reference signal is also known as the low resolution engine speed signal. This signal is generated by the ICM using an internal divide-by-six circuit. This circuit divides the 18 X signal pulses by six. This divider circuit will not begin operation without a sync pulse present at start-up, and without 18 X and 3 X reference signals no fuel injection will occur.

Last edited by z28pete; 10-09-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A buddy of mine with a 2002 V6 had the exact same symtoms. He changed the Ignition Control Module (ICM), it's the flat block that the 3 coils sit on and it corrected the problem.