93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Possible bad ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Possible bad ECU?

Here is my story... I was driving and the car turned off without notice, I got it to start up long enough to get it pulled into the drive way... after turning it off the car will no longer turn back on. It cranks, just doesn't start... the fuel pump is working, the coils, module, cables and spark plugs have been replaced and I STILL have no spark. I even tested all my parts on my mothers Pontiac and they worked on her car. Anyways, I am starting to think it might be the ECU. When I turn the key to the "on" position all the lights turn on and they go off EXCEPT the check engine light and the check gauges light... again, the car cranks but doesn't start and the fuel pump does work... I also tested the ignition system with starter fluid and that didn't even work which leads me to no spark... any ideas guys? I miss my baby and want her back up and running! Please help and thanks for your time.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
4th Gear Member

What year? What engine? Any codes? Could be a sensor such as the crank position sensor depending on what engine is in the car.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh! I forgot to mention that too. I had the crankshaft replaced a couple of months ago, its also a 1996 V6, 3.8L.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Droid

Check the crank position sensor. If the PCM does not see a KPS signal the engine won't start.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, would that cause the car to turn off when the car was already running? And what could cause the crankshaft position sensor to go out when I just replaced it a couple of months ago? Also... When I turn the key to the "on" position, should the check engine light cut on, then off and there shouldn't be a check gauge light; right? One more question... PCM is the same as an ECU but what is the right term to use? Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 96 V6 check gauge light and engine light "on" position.

Well, if you dont already know I have a car that cranks but doesn't start... The thread is here and I hope someone can help out! On that thread I called it the ECU,someone else called it the PCM. IDK exactly which one to call it but I hope someone can help out. https://camaroforums.com/forum/showt...008#post463008 To continue what I was saying... Is it normal for the CEL to stay on? I turn the key to the on position and all my lights cut on and then off but my CEL stays on and the check gauge light comes on too... What does this mean?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

check for blown fuses also in your main fuse boxes under the hood and look at all of the larger 30's and 40's for your IGN power if you have no IGN power u have no run. and a simple visual check may not be the best if you have a Digital Multi Meter(10-20 bucks from Sears) you can get definite answers if you have a power problem. just my .02.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I appreciate it Carl. When you say "boxes" is there more then one fuse box? I saw the IGN fuse and looked at it visually but I will def try to test it as well. But again... Even if it was the fuse, wouldn't that only affect the start up? My car died while driving it. And... Are there any other fuses or anything along that line I can check out?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the ses light is on then you should have stored trouble codes. scan for trouble codes and let us know what comes up. check gages light comes on cause the motors not running so oil pressure is at 0.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 AM
4th Gear Member

My understanding is if the crank sensor goes bad, even if the car is running, it will kill the engine. You said you had the crankshaft replaced in a previous poist. That does not mean they replaced the crank position sensor. That sensoir is on the outside of the motor down on the front of the crank. I would check the wiring harness going into it to make sure that it did not come loose if someone replaced the crank or crank sensor. They could have pushed wiring connector into the sensor but not far enough for it to snap connected. If you haven't already, I would check the spark with either a spark tester or a spare plug and wire to visually see if it is sparking.

Last edited by osduck5; 10-09-2010 at 09:14 AM.