93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Overheating?

Well i appreciate all the help i recieve if anyone replys to this but i have a 1995 3.4L v6 and its got high miles on it but no problems really up until about a week ago so i went and had a thermostat replaced in it and it was fine up until later that night it started to overheat again does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Thanks for any help anyone can give me..

Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Overheating?

Got plenty of coolant? Does it overheat while driving or just at idle?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you dont have alot of coolant then add some more.. and exactly how hot is it getting? is it pinging past 260 degrees or? and after you add more and it still leaks some how check to make sure the drain plug is tighted all the way and check the freeze plug right on the front of the block behind the resister pulley and the other freeze plug you have to drop the transmission to get to it i believe.. and above that check the knock sensor.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheGrimReaper73

If you dont have alot of coolant then add some more.. and exactly how hot is it getting? is it pinging past 260 degrees or? and after you add more and it still leaks some how check to make sure the drain plug is tighted all the way and check the freeze plug right on the front of the block behind the resister pulley and the other freeze plug you have to drop the transmission to get to it i believe.. and above that check the knock sensor.
ya you have to drop the engine to get a 2 dollar freeze plug in there lol. But ya, not much help we can give you with the general explanation "its overheating", going to need some details.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with you nessy so Terry7028 provide us with more info so we can pinpoint the problem a little better

Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: TheGrimReaper73

Where exactly is a "resister pulley?" And there are freeze plugs all over the bottom of the block, two on each side if I remember right, I wasnt paying attention to those while I was down there on my car.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Overdrive Member

I am going to say he means the tensioner pulley. Besides, they are talking bout a 3.4. [8D]

Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright thanks for the help ill go into some more detail. It started over heating on me about a week ago and it was like 260 degrees,my check gauges light was coming on so i thought ok thermostat so i bought a new one and i took it to the garage to put it in because my thermostat housing bolt was sheared off so they got that all fixed and the temperature was fine all day until that night then it started over heating again. Its over heating driving and at idle. This morning i put more dexcool 50/50 anti freeze in because IT WAS low i left me car then run for 10 mins and so far i havent had any problems.. Later on today i will check it again to see if somehow i am leaking anti freeze. i hope this goes into detail some more so i can get some help.. Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey Terry,

Sounds like you've got yourself a classic head gasket leak. Out of curiosity how did your bolt get sheered on your thermostat? Here's some things to check. Is there coolant underneath the vehicle? If you are parked and run the car for say 15 minutes at idle is there a pool of fluid that's forming underneath the exhaust at the tail pipe? Does the exhaust have a sweet smell to it? When you accelerate does white smoke come out of the pipe? All these are signs of a head gasket leak. If you've determined there is a leak then at this point you have two options. 1) and the best option, is to replace your gaskets and be done with it. or 2) Use a product like Liquid Glass from CRC or K&W Block Seal(same company and from what I can tell, same product). If you choose to go this route read, read, read the directions on the bottle because if you don't follow the directions it will not help you out at all. Also avoid crap like straight up bars leaks(brown gunk). Bars leaks will solve the problem for maybe a week or two and then start leaking again and further more it'll totally hammer the functionality of your radiator and heater core in the process. Good Luck and let us know what you find out!

Thanks,

Tom

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

I am going to say he means the tensioner pulley. Besides, they are talking bout a 3.4. [8D]
The freeze plugs are still in about the same location, under the exhaust manifolds. I think i dont have a photographic memory.

Quick Reply: Overheating?