93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

ok want to know where i can get my car scanned

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ok want to know where i can get my car scanned

i read around here that autozone does it for free by my car is 3.4 94 and i called them up to see and they said they dont do it. i called pepboys and they can do it but it will coat money like 80 bucks our something like that. i live down here in miami, florida, any help.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: ok want to know where i can get my car scanned

I would buy a scanner -- I have the Autoxray 6000 (works w/pre-1996 cars -- OBD-I) -- split the price w/a family member -- that's what I did

Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: ok want to know where i can get my car scanned

OBDI systems do not disclose much information. You can actually check the codes (if any are present) at home by yourself. First, locate the diagnostic link connector. It should be a connector port undearneath the steering wheel assembly. It SHOULD be a 10-pin connector, but GM was known to equip OBDI cars with OBDII connectors, which are 16-pin connectors. If your vehicle has a 16-pin connector, you cannot check it yourself and must have a scan tool installed. Otherwise, with the 10-pin connector, you will need to jump pins 4 and 5, the 4th and 5th pin in the top row (closest to the passenger side). After jumping the pins (either with a paper clip or T-pins and a jumper wire), turn the key to the ON position. Watch the Service Engine Soon lamp and record the number of flashes. GM vehicles should always display a code 12, which would be one flash, pause, and then two flashes. A code 12 means that it's in diagnostic mode and is ready to show codes. A code 12 will be flashed more than once, so be sure to note anything other than 12. Once the last code has been flashed, it will be repeated until the key is turned off. If you have any codes, post the two digit value and I'd be more than happy to let you know what they mean!

The best of luck to you.