93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

The oil pressure switch/sending unit whatever you want to call it is right above or beside the oil filter on the 3.8. I had to replace mine because it blew apart. Learned also then and there that the oil can play apart in how your pressure works as well. I beleive it goes as the oil weight increases the pressure decreases, but lubricates the engine better, the thinner the oil the better the pressure, but oil tends to run from the top of the motor to the pan quicker as a result. Thats why diseils have thicker oils, and racecars/imports have thinner oils. Desiels don't turn rpms to dry the pan as quick. Race cars/Imports turn rpms so they need the oil to get back to the pan quicker. Thats my summary.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear member

sorry about the double post

Old 04-10-2006, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear member

When your oil pressure drops at idle dont get so worried, it does that on all cars. If you have NO oil pressure that is a problem, or if it is below the last red line on the gauge, which is 20 psi i think. Otherwise also watch your temp gauge, that can tell you how well your engine is being lubricated ( crappy lube= abnormally hot engine temp)

Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear member

It's actualy the other way around, the thicker oil produces more press. cause it's harder to pump through the engine aka parasitic power loss. but it forms a stronger hydrodynamic wedge between the bearings. which is why heavy duty engines like diesels and commercial gas motors run it. I don't know about the high end teams, but, some of the guys I've known that go to the strip on Wednesday nigte ran the thinner oils or synthetics to get the extra power back. I think I touched on this very lightly earlier in this thread.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok I got a ? when I am sitting still and idling ( in gear or out) my oil pressure is jumping up and down a little what causes this? is this my pressure switch again? I just changed it? or should I be worried

Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM

I have the same exact camaro as you
My oil pressure is weird like that too

Old 05-23-2006, 04:25 PM

Just a quick warning to others which may seem dumb but oh well... I replaced my Oil Pressure Switch (or sending unit) in my 98 V6 3.8L Camaro the other day. Do not torque it by the book! I followed the service manual for torquing it and it broke off inside of the hole. I then stuck an "Easy Out" in there to try and get it out and then that broke off too! I ended up having to get it towed to the shop and have the two broken pieces drilled out. What a pain.

Again, this might be common knowledge to most here, but I am new to this stuff and it really blew my mind that torquing the part by the book caused the part to break off.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM

its rite above the oil filter there about 25 dollars to replace and its easy