93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Default RE: OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

red94v6, I have another question to ask u. When the seal was bad in your car did u smell or see any oil on the ground where u were parked? I dont see any oil leakage And i dont smell any oder. Its very hard arround here to find a trusted mechanic that wont tell a bunch of bull ****. I probably will go to a few different places and see what all they tell me. I wont just take one opionion. I will keep u posted on the results though. Im just so frustrated on my oil pressure. So Im probably asking alot of dumb questions. Anyway I let u know what I find out. Again Thanks for all your help.
ORIGINAL: misspiggy

red94v6, Thanks for all your help. I think I will take your advise and have a trusted mechanic look at my car. You may only be 16 but you knowledgable on camaro's I am going to take into the shop. I will keep u posted as to what I find out. Again Thanks for all your advise. I apprieciate it.
ORIGINAL: red94v6

The computer might help but i dont know much about the what that could tell you about the oil pressure. It would probably tell you something about the check guages light but not much else. Just have a good mechanic check out some of the oil seals too, that's how i found out i had all those problems.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes there was a considerable amount of oil under my car where i park it every night and it smelled like it was burning lots of oil every time i would get out. The burning smell came from one of the seals leaking on the exhaust. If you dont have any odor and no oil leaking then i am completely stumped [sm=alcoholic.gif] , maybe just check how much oil is in the car then????

Old 03-05-2006, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Sorry I've been away, I'm back up to speed on the posts. Red94v6, 20 p.s.i. at hot idle is about right sounds like the motor is still pretty healthy. The most that the computer diagnostic is going to tell you is what your oil press sender is telling the ECM, which is what the guage reads, now it is possible that the oil sending unit may be faulty, not reading properly, if so changing the sending unit may cure the problem and it's a cheap fix. Misspiggy, what is your cold at idle in gear oil pressure?, and what is your hot at idle in gear oil pressure? hot idle being normal operating temp. To answer your bearing question, all the rotating assemlies in the engine ie: the crankshaft and the camshaft, ride in soft brass bearings that are coated with a babbit matierial. This gives them a soft, smooth, longwearing, replaceable surface to run in. The clearence, or air gap, between these two surfaces, crankshaft and bearing, is what dictates your oil pressure. The tighter the gap, the higher the resistants to oil flow, the higher the pressure. Now as the engine warms up the metal expands and these clearence gaps open up, that is why you see a 20 to 30 p.s.i drop in oil press. that is normal. Now as the motor wears, it will run lower oil press. You should be running what red94's running about 15 to 20 p.s.i. hot. I currently have this exact issue with my '82 K20. I recently tanked a head gaskette on this motor, that alowed a considerable amount of coolant to mix with the oil and get pumped through the motor. Anti-freeze is highly corrosive to the babbit coating on the bearings. the errosion on the bearings opened up the clearence and now that motor runs 38 p.s.i. cold and 4p.s.i hot. It used to run 60 cold and 25 hot. This engine has only 50,000 miles on it. Also, a thicker oil will increase your oil pressure. So, if you're using 5w30 bump it up to 10w40 or 20w50. If that wont bring the press. up then use the Lucas. I hope I answered all your questions, if not or if you have more let me know.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 PM

v8chvyguy,
I read your post. Thanks for all the info. This is what my oil pressure reads in gear cold brake on about 55p.s.i. When warm in gear brake on pressure is 0. on red line. No motor noise though. Doesnt leak or use much oil. I hardly have to add any oil at all. Any advise or ideals will be very helpful and appreciated. Would a tuneup help since my check gauges light sometimes does come on. Would this cause any of the oil pressure problems Im having now? Thanks and let me know if have more advise. DEE{misspiggy}
ORIGINAL: v8chvyguy

Sorry I've been away, I'm back up to speed on the posts. Red94v6, 20 p.s.i. at hot idle is about right sounds like the motor is still pretty healthy. The most that the computer diagnostic is going to tell you is what your oil press sender is telling the ECM, which is what the guage reads, now it is possible that the oil sending unit may be faulty, not reading properly, if so changing the sending unit may cure the problem and it's a cheap fix. Misspiggy, what is your cold at idle in gear oil pressure?, and what is your hot at idle in gear oil pressure? hot idle being normal operating temp. To answer your bearing question, all the rotating assemlies in the engine ie: the crankshaft and the camshaft, ride in soft brass bearings that are coated with a babbit matierial. This gives them a soft, smooth, longwearing, replaceable surface to run in. The clearence, or air gap, between these two surfaces, crankshaft and bearing, is what dictates your oil pressure. The tighter the gap, the higher the resistants to oil flow, the higher the pressure. Now as the engine warms up the metal expands and these clearence gaps open up, that is why you see a 20 to 30 p.s.i drop in oil press. that is normal. Now as the motor wears, it will run lower oil press. You should be running what red94's running about 15 to 20 p.s.i. hot. I currently have this exact issue with my '82 K20. I recently tanked a head gaskette on this motor, that alowed a considerable amount of coolant to mix with the oil and get pumped through the motor. Anti-freeze is highly corrosive to the babbit coating on the bearings. the errosion on the bearings opened up the clearence and now that motor runs 38 p.s.i. cold and 4p.s.i hot. It used to run 60 cold and 25 hot. This engine has only 50,000 miles on it. Also, a thicker oil will increase your oil pressure. So, if you're using 5w30 bump it up to 10w40 or 20w50. If that wont bring the press. up then use the Lucas. I hope I answered all your questions, if not or if you have more let me know.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:14 AM
2nd Gear member

That's a big drop in oil pressure. I suggest you check the oil press with a mechanical guage. using a halfway decent guage, not one from wal-mart, orieley's, advanced, or autozone, you need a good accurate somewhat detailed guage. Remove the stock sending unit, install a "T" fitting that will give you two ports instead of one, then reinstall the stock sender in one port and the mechanical guage in the other, do the same check as you did before and compare the two guage readings If the stock guage reads 0 and the mechanical guage reads 15 or so, then try replacing the sending unit. Let me know what you find. B.T.W. I did'nt catch how many miles your motor has on it.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm guessing that you figuered it out

Old 03-19-2006, 11:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Misspiggy, I had the exact same problem with my car also, I changed the oil pressure switch or sending unit some people call it and it runs just fine now and only cost me about $25. So I would most definately take chevyguy's advice and check the LEAST expensive thing first then move on if it's not that. I could easily see my pressure switch dripping oil while the car was running that's how I found it if you can' tell then I would also say take it to a trusty mechanic and get it checked out.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:14 PM

Hi, where is this oil pressure switch located at? I have a 95 V6 3.4 and also have the low oil pressure problem. I've been told by other Camaro owners that these camaros are like that. The oil pressure seems to work with PSI's. So when you are idling, your oil pressure is low. When you are driving, it is fine.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the oil pressure switch should be located on the oil filter housing (where you screw in your oil filter) it is about the size of a roll of quarters with a wire connector plugged in to it just simply unplug the connector then unscrew the switch.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM

i have the same problem in my 97 camaro rs 3.8, i am getting the clutch and rear main seal replaced this weak because i am losing oil. Where would the oil pressure switch be on a 3.8