93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Default OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

I have a 94 camaro with a 3.4 v6 in it. My question is when my car is idling my presure drops to the red line and my check gauges light comes on. When I drive the car my presure is fine. As soon as I stop the presure drop again. I had the oil changed thinking that may be the problem since the weather has been so cold. Im not mechanically inclined so any help on this subject would be appreciated. Should I drive my car or not and how do I fix the presure problem. Is it a senser or the pump? Is this problem going to cause damage to my motor.? HELP!!!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:09 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: OilPresure stinks when car is idllling

do you have better oil press when it's cold, when you tart it in th morning, then as the motor warms up it drops? If you do then it's a bearing clearance issue and more than likely the motor may be needing an overhaul. you can use Lucas oil stabilizer, but you;re only prolonging the inevitable.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:25 AM
2nd Gear member

I have had the same problem for a while now, but my check guages light never came on. I had it taken to two different places, the lube and oil shop gave me the cookie cutter excuse, "your oil pan needs replacing." When I took it to a dedicated repair shop, they told me that where the oil filter meets the engine there was a large leak, dripping on an hourly basis. They also told me my main rear seal was leaking too. All in all you could have what v8chvyguy said, or maybe you just need the oil filter fixed, which cost me about 170$. Of course if you need the pan replaced and rear main seal fixed, that could run up to 1000$ depending on the quality of labor you want. I personally got a deal at about 500$ (car is still in shop) because my father knows a very good mechanic. Bear in mind i am only 16 so you will definatly want to have a certified mechanic check it out.

**P.S- judging from the name, your are a female correct? If so you should bring a middle aged or slightly older man with you to the mechanic if you arent very mechanicly inclined, I watched a guy try to tell my mom she needed the transmission replaced when all it needed was a flush and fluid. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 03:26 AM
2nd Gear member

I have had the same problem for a while now, but my check guages light never came on. I had it taken to two different places, the lube and oil shop gave me the cookie cutter excuse, "your oil pan needs replacing." When I took it to a dedicated repair shop, they told me that where the oil filter meets the engine there was a large leak, dripping on an hourly basis. They also told me my main rear seal was leaking too. All in all you could have what v8chvyguy said, or maybe you just need the oil filter fixed, which cost me about 170$. Of course if you need the pan replaced and rear main seal fixed, that could run up to 1000$ depending on the quality of labor you want. I personally got a deal at about 500$ (car is still in shop) because my father knows a very good mechanic. Bear in mind i am only 16 so you will definatly want to have a certified mechanic check it out.

**P.S- judging from the name, your are a female correct? If so you should bring a middle aged or slightly older man with you to the mechanic if you arent very mechanicly inclined, I watched a guy try to tell my mom she needed the transmission replaced when all it needed was a flush and fluid. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear member

#1- sorry about the double post. Any way, i just got my car back, and i notice that at idle, the pressure does drop to about 20-30 psi for me, i dont know if yours is actually on the red but mine never quite was. All in all what i described above cost me 570$. Definatly get it looked at soon though.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Hey red94v6, I was reading the advise you gave me. Iam going to take it in and have it put on the computer. Will this tell me what is wrong with my motor or not. I dont want spend the money to have my car on the computer,if it isnt going to help me. I really dont want to have to overhaul my motor if it isnt necessary. My presure does drop though when my motor is warm and idling. When I drive though its ok. The presure is good when the motor is cold too. Should I put my car on the computer? If so will this tell me whats wrong.
ORIGINAL: red94v6

#1- sorry about the double post. Any way, i just got my car back, and i notice that at idle, the pressure does drop to about 20-30 psi for me, i dont know if yours is actually on the red but mine never quite was. All in all what i described above cost me 570$. Definatly get it looked at soon though.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Hey,v8chvyguy, I was reading the advise u gave me. My pressure does drop when the motor is warm. It has good pressure when the car is cold. Iam thinking of putting my car on the computer to see what is wrong with it. If I do this. Will it tell my whats wrong with my pressure? When my car is running the motor doesnt make any noise. It sounds good. I want to be sure what is wrong with my pressure, so Iam wondering if the computer will tell me if I have this done. I dont want to waste my time or money if I wont find anthing out from the computer. Let me know what u think. I am always looking for advise. Also if I would use that oil stablizer how long would my motor last. It already has 101,000 miles on it.

ORIGINAL: v8chvyguy

do you have better oil press when it's cold, when you tart it in th morning, then as the motor warms up it drops? If you do then it's a bearing clearance issue and more than likely the motor may be needing an overhaul. you can use Lucas oil stabilizer, but you;re only prolonging the inevitable.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM

v8chvyguy,As I told u before, Iam not mechanically inclined so my question to you is. When u r talking about a bearing clearance issue do u mean a throw out bearing? I have been trying to explain to people what is wrong with my car and I told them what u suggested. That is why Im was asking about a throw out bearing

[/quote]

Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

The computer might help but i dont know much about the what that could tell you about the oil pressure. It would probably tell you something about the check guages light but not much else. Just have a good mechanic check out some of the oil seals too, that's how i found out i had all those problems.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:25 PM

red94v6, Thanks for all your help. I think I will take your advise and have a trusted mechanic look at my car. You may only be 16 but you knowledgable on camaro's I am going to take into the shop. I will keep u posted as to what I find out. Again Thanks for all your advise. I apprieciate it.
ORIGINAL: red94v6

The computer might help but i dont know much about the what that could tell you about the oil pressure. It would probably tell you something about the check guages light but not much else. Just have a good mechanic check out some of the oil seals too, that's how i found out i had all those problems.