93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oil Pressure Drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Default Oil Pressure Drop

So after work today on my way home my oil pressure dropped to 0. When I started it at work it went up to 60 and after driving it for a couple miles it dropped to between 20 and 40. i drove bout 20 miles stopped at a traffic light and I lost all pressure. When I hole my RPMs around 2k the pressure wouldnt go up very high. Is there a way I can test my oil pump or should i just replace it? If replace it there is a 20% volume increase pump or standard pump. Which 1 should i get? I have a 95 3.4.. thanks

Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you hear valve tapping when it drops to Zero? The factory gages are crap. Many had to be replaced while under warranty and they dont get better with age. I would guess that 90% of all "Low oil Pressure" work orders that have NO other syptoms end up being a problem with the gage system not the motor. Get a hand held mechanical gage and find out what you really got going. You only need 10 PSI per 1000 RPM, much less then that and the engine will damage itself.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 AM

I didn't hear any knocking or any rough sounds..

Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 AM

I just went out and started it and let it run for like 5 min and at idle it was right around 40

Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with Gorn completly I am on my third oil pressure sensor. The first one showed major fluctuation, constantly bouncing between 40-50 lbs. The second did not have the fluctuation but it showed I had 75-90 lbs of pressure I am now on number three and it seems to be working but it shows 50-60lbs of pressure.

I bought a mechanical gauge from Harbor Freight for $10 and checked it before installing the last senor and it showed I had fairly consistent 40 lbs of pressure.

At his point as long as the gauge says I have some pressure I am going to ignore the reading unless I have heard something go wrong in the engine prior to the pressure change.

If I were you I would check it with a mechanical gauge or just buy a new sensor as the are only about $25. I do not know how hard they are to replace on the 3.4 but on the 3.8 they are as easy to change as the oil filter. but in an case I would not drive the car at all until I found out for certain there was oil pressure.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Ok thanks for the info. What size thread does the mech gauge have to be? and what pressure does it have to goto

Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Rumblin Red
Ok thanks for the info. What size thread does the mech gauge have to be? and what pressure does it have to goto
I think if you pull the sending unit it is a 1/8" NPT thread. Just to be sure you want a gage that will read up to 100 PSI. Most automotive type gage would got up to 350 psi that way they can be used on transmission. atleast thats what I have.

edit
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-...ter-92687.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-...kit-98949.html

Last edited by Gorn; 07-02-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Is the oil pressure sensor right beside the oil filter? Cuz it looks like there is oil leaking outta there. Auto zone said they don't have a oil pressure sensor in there computer system. So what should it b called?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

That is your oil pressure sensor connected to you oil filter adapter. Ask for a oil pressure sending unit at autozone. I would also check you pump drive shaft at the back of the block to make sure its not poped up.You can reach it from the passenger side. It should be bolted down by a clamp.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's called an oil pressure switch. I always look up the part and print it out before going to AutoZone. I don't trust some of the numnuts behind the counter.
Here's your part: Oil Pressure Switch | AutoZone.com
However, if you have a different auto supply store, I'd prefer something different from a Duralast part.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Drop