93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oil in MAF - What should I check and clean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Default Oil in MAF - What should I check and clean?

I have recently started bringing my 98 Camaro 3800 back to life, after having lent it to my father, who was not able to give it the attention it needed. When I got it back from him the head gasket needed to be replaced, as did one of the O2 sensors, the Cat Converter, Muffler, spark plug wire, a distributor. Needless to stay the engine had been overheating.

After the above repairs the Camaro passed the California smog check with flying colors. After changing the clutch and driveshaft I was test driving it when the engine started knocking, and after about a mile the engine turned off. The Oil Pressure gauge was reading at the bottom, and when I checked the oil it was almost empty. I added oil and it started up again.

After all this I was replacing the radiator with a new one, and upon removing the air intake assembly I noticed there was thick oil residue on the Mass Air Flow sensor screen. I would like advise on what I should check and clean to ensure there is no additional damage that I have missed from the engine overheating.

The engine runs smoothly, however, the lifters are audible from inside the cabin at idle and during acceleration. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the motor was run with coolant in the oil i would say the bearings are goin. most of them anyways. best thing to do is find a good low mileage series 3 3.8, put your intake, oil pan and sensors on it and install it. for piece of mind change the head gaskets. should be good to go, 25 or so more hp, same mpg.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by bennygunns
I was test driving it when the engine started knocking, and after about a mile the engine turned off. The Oil Pressure gauge was reading at the bottom, and when I checked the oil it was almost empty. I added oil and it started up again.
Your engine didn't simply "turn off", you seized it from running with no oil. Sorry, but the engine is toast now.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Droid

[quote=bennygunns;618779]I have recently started bringing my 98 Camaro 3800 back to life, after having lent it to my father, who was not able to give it the attention it needed. When I got it back from him the head gasket needed to be replaced, as did one of the O2 sensors, the Cat Converter, Muffler, spark plug wire, a distributor. quote]

I would like to know how you managed to change the distributor in this car, being that it does not use one.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i was assuming a coil pack was replaced. clean the maf using maf cleaner, dont touch/damage the little wires in there. if your motor is as worn and it sounds then your getting blow by getting threw the pistion rings, this causes the air pressure inside the block to rise and in your case i think it overwelmed the pcv system and pushed air back into the air intake. when that happens the air can take some oil with it. you could try some heavier oil like 10w40 to bring the oil pressure up and see if lifters will quite down. may also give you some extra time to think over what you wish to do before the motor goes.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
I would like to know how you managed to change the distributor in this car, being that it does not use one.
Coil replaced.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by craby
i was assuming a coil pack was replaced. clean the maf using maf cleaner, dont touch/damage the little wires in there. if your motor is as worn and it sounds then your getting blow by getting threw the pistion rings, this causes the air pressure inside the block to rise and in your case i think it overwelmed the pcv system and pushed air back into the air intake. when that happens the air can take some oil with it. you could try some heavier oil like 10w40 to bring the oil pressure up and see if lifters will quite down. may also give you some extra time to think over what you wish to do before the motor goes.
Thanks. Definitely considering all options regarding engine replacement. However, in the meantime while I replace and upgrade other components it's nice to be able to drive it to and from the shop at least. After cleaning the MAF I will have my shop check the compression to gauge any damage I can't see.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM

I took the Camaro into the shop to have the MAF cleaned. Filled her up with Mobil 1 and started her up. It hiccuped for a second but then leveled out and has been running very smooth. My mechanic said these cars have a sensor to shut off the engine when the oil pressure gets too low. I'm counting my blessings.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by bennygunns
My mechanic said these cars have a sensor to shut off the engine when the oil pressure gets too low. I'm counting my blessings.
No it doesn't. Fords have that "safety" feature, GM's don't. Your mechanic is mixing his breeds.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Bad pcv valve will cause oil to leak into the throttle body. An yes they will shut off once the oil psi drops into the red and stays there, just check any v6 site if you don't believe me.

Quick Reply: Oil in MAF - What should I check and clean?