93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Default Oil leak?

Hey guys. I have a quick question. I own a 1997 RS and it has an oil leak at the bottom of the motor. The guy at Quick Lube said that the rear main is leaking. I looked for a topic about the rear main leaking, but didn't see any. How likelyis it the rear main? The car has 80,000 miles on it and I've owned it since 1998 and its not been ran hard at all. I'm hoping they guy doesn't know what he is talking about and it's the oil pan gasket.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Oil leak?

Clean out all the gunk from the back of the engine, e remove the bottom cover from the bell housing,so you can see where the oil is coming from. If it is the rear main seal, the oil will come out from inside the bell housing, if it is from the oil pan gasket, try tightening the bolts up, the do get loose with time. Don't over tighten as you will damage the gasket and create more leaks.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks Pete. I'll look at it this weekend. Man I hope its not the rear main.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:32 AM

hey man my rear main and oil pan gasket is leaking got an estimate for 1500 bucks, gay

Old 03-31-2007, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear member

Check valve covers, too. Especially at the rear. Oil may drip down, blowing it on the underbody, which, in turn, can make many think it's an actual lower engine leak.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

Check valve covers, too. Especially at the rear. Oil may drip down, blowing it on the underbody, which, in turn, can make many think it's an actual lower engine leak.
x2

If it only leaks while the engine is running/shortly after being ran, it is likely the valve cover gaskets...

check that b4 u dish out the big bucks...

Old 04-02-2007, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: badinfluenceRS

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

x2

If it only leaks while the engine is running/shortly after being ran, it is likely the valve cover gaskets...

check that b4 u dish out the big bucks...

Yeah it only leaks when it's running. I didn't have time to look at it this weekend(silly work). As soon as I get a chance I'll let you all know.

Thanks for the help you all are great
Dave

Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
4th Gear Member

If it only leaks while it's running, shouldn't it MOST LIKELY be the valve covers? bc oil is only in the valve covers when the engine is running...

is my theory correct pete?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Be sure to check the $4 PCV rubber elbow, which can cause some oil drip if it is damaged/missing not inserted properly. I just replaced mine on my '95, and the engine runs better...

Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: badinfluenceRS

If it only leaks while it's running, shouldn't it MOST LIKELY be the valve covers? bc oil is only in the valve covers when the engine is running...

is my theory correct pete?
Yes and no, when the engine is running all the oil leaving the oil pump is under pressure, and the oil galleries are designed to distribute the oil where it is needed, especially around the main, rod & cam bearings and to the valve lifters. Some oil goes to the top of the engine via the cam followers and push rods to lube the valve gear,but returns to the oil pan, via drain holes, before it can build pressure under the valve covers. There is pool of of oil created on top of the heads and if the valve covers do not seal properly the oilwill ooze out.Front & rear main seals have tocontain the oil that squirtsout from the side of the main bearings while the engine is running and they will only leak when the engine is running. Really, the only place you can get an oil leak when the engine is not running is around the oil pan drain plug.
If the engine has bad rings, blowby pressure can build up in the crankcase and under the valve covers, unless the engine is not properly vented, and can force oil out frommany places, but there is no blowby pressure if the engine is not running.

Quick Reply: Oil leak?