93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Oil in coolant

Hi to All.
I've a '99 Camaro 3800 series II and today I've find a little bit of oil on the cap and the neck of the radiator.
Really 2 drops but are oil in the coolant(red).
I think it is motor oil because the color is the same and the coolant is red but I'm not shure.

Anyone can help me?

thanks!

Giacomo

Old 07-12-2016, 12:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like your antifreeze is old. cooling system needs to be flushed and new coolant. if you switch to green stuff youll need to flush a few extra times to get all the orange stuff out. also if your system is gunked up its good idea to flush heater core and radiator separately so you dont push gunk through the system.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok craby but i have motor oil in coolant or do you think the coolant it' only very old?
I have to change the heads gaskets or the upper intake gasket?
what do you think?

thz

Last edited by Volcente; 07-13-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like coolant gunk. no way for oil to get into coolant, at least i dont think the 3.8 had an oil cooler, only way i know it can. head gasket or intake gasket failure will most times show coolant in the oil but can leak outside the engine and not get in the oil,,, or coolant.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do you have other reasons to believe you have a blown gasket in the engine?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Oil in the coolant is VERY rare in a push rod motor. There is no pressurized oil going through you head gasket. It is common in over head cam engines. If you did have it it would be due to a cracked block and you would be getting coolant in the oil as the motor cools down. I have never seen red motor oil, red transmission fluid but not motor oil.

The original coolant that came with the car is orange and be becomes a brownish mud color as it ages. You are probably the 30th person that has posted "I have oil in my coolant" and all of those where just old coolant. Getting all the bad stuff out can be a pain, You really should remove the radiator and dump it out while flushing it with a hose or search for a shop that has the flush equipment, most rad repair shops can flush your radiator without pulling it out.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
do you have other reasons to believe you have a blown gasket in the engine?
no other reason.
my transmission oil is clear, my power steerling is clear, my motor oil is really very clear, my coolant have these dirty marks.

I think that these marks are engine oil but i don't know why in the engine oil there is no coolant.

Next week i channge and wash all the cooling system and i see in the marks appear again.
i thinks it is oil....

Old 07-13-2016, 12:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Oil in the coolant is VERY rare in a push rod motor. There is no pressurized oil going through you head gasket. It is common in over head cam engines.
Gorn if the oil is not pressurized in the head gasket in what way it arrive up in the heads?

Old 07-13-2016, 01:51 PM
4th Gear Member

it just looks like oil ,do like what was said flush put new dexcool ,its gunk starting to form ,that looks just like oil ,an one can get a lot more then that at the bottom it could be a lot more that's why a flush gets some out ,you may seen it even after a flush ,no couse for alarm though

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-13-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant