Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default octane booster..

is it safe?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is it safe....to put in your gas tank, or to drink?
It's safe to use in the tank, but not needed in a stock engine as long as you're using the recommended octane rated fuel.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah it is!...

Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

i normally run premium (93) octane, so i wouldn't really benefit from the octane booster, would i?

oh well, guess i'll just chug this down....

Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Ninja Administrator

its fine. you wont gain anything though. u probably arent even taking full advantage of the 93

Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Octane does not = fast. High octane fuel actually will slow most cars not made to run it down.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Ninja Administrator

^i cant think of any reason why that would be true. weve had it brought up before as well.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

It's brought up everywhere. Just depends on the engine's configuration, mainly compression and ignition specs. High octane fuel ignites slower, so either you need more compression, or have to change the spark advance. In my case, I run premium because I run more advance. Without it I get KR, and run less mph at the track.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Octane rating is just the resistance for fuel to auto ignite (knocking). If your car is tuned for 93 octane, and you run 98, it's not going to hurt power any because you're just increase knock resistance, not spark resistance. Lower rated fuels are bad in some cases because compressing air creates heat. The higher compression, the more heat generated. This heat causes the fuel to ignite prematurely, causing a "knock" in the engine. This is when the engine induces KR (knock retard) and pulls the timing to reduce the problem.

But going higher will not hurt performance at all. It just eliminates any KR problems you may have. The fuel itself does not ignite nor burn slower. It's just more resistant to igniting due to heat. When you're running 40kV (40000 volts) thru it, any fuel is going to instantly ignite.

So to answer you question Wacko... No it will not hurt your car, but at the same time, the CR in our cars is not high enough to need anything higher than 89 stock. However, if your timing is advanced like mine or Steve's, you WILL have to run higher octane to avoid KR but hardly ever more than 93.

So it will not help your car either =P

Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by musicman
It's brought up everywhere. Just depends on the engine's configuration, mainly compression and ignition specs. High octane fuel ignites slower, so either you need more compression, or have to change the spark advance. In my case, I run premium because I run more advance. Without it I get KR, and run less mph at the track.
thats the problem. higher octanes do not ignite slower nor do they burn slower. they have a higher energetic threshold before they detonate. the spark is essentially instantaneous, and is well above this threshold. once ignited the gasonline burns at the same rate regardless of octane rating

Quick Reply: octane booster..