93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Now the fun begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Default Now the fun begins

I finally got the engine dropped from the camaro. It was a pain in the *** to do. Engine has 191500 miles on it so I figured it was time for a rebuild. I'll be putting in a more aggressive cam, all new internals and seals. May do some work to the heads for more performance depending on what they look like when I pull it apart.

Attached Thumbnails Now the fun begins-engine-removal.jpg   Now the fun begins-engine-removal-1.jpg   Now the fun begins-engine-removal-2.jpg   Now the fun begins-engine-removal-3.jpg   Now the fun begins-engine-removal-4.jpg  

Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by pwcfire
I finally got the engine dropped from the camaro. It was a pain in the *** to do.
You got a friken lift, Try it without a lift sometime in a one car garage. Headers is a must for that year.
You want to check this out:

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/project-l36-sleeper-40642/

Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Haha I wouldn't want to try it in a one car garage. It was a pain even on the lift. Its gonna get some headers though. I'm probably going to go with pacesetter. That is a long thread. Its going to take me a while to get through that. That guy has a lot of good stuff planned. I forgot all about abbott racing heads. I'll have to check them out.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He is already done. He is just tuning it and working out the details. He has a video post of him running a 1/4 mile down in the drag section. I used the OBX headers on mine. If you click on the link in my sig you can see what they look like.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Those are some nice looking headers you got. I think I'm just going to go with the the black powdercoat. It all depends on what the funds are like after I get the engine done. The 30 hrs of OT I had this week at work should help though! My camaro is the same year and color as yours. Unfortunately I didn't get the t-tops and it's and auto... I couldn't be picky at the time it was my first car when I was 16.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

While you're in there, you'll need new main bolts (top and side, they're torque to yield), rod bolts (tty as well). I would go with clevite bearings throughout, sealed power rings. For the gasket set, go with a felpro kit, but go to the dealer and get a timing cover gasket there. The felpro one is known to weep after a while since the block surface isn't perfectly flat.

If you're going for some performance, the ARH NA cam is wonderful. You'll need 105# springs to go with it. Keep in mind that if you keep a single roller chain that you'll wear the tensioner out quick thanks to the pressure. A good upgrade is a rollmaster double roller chain, and a machined oil pump cover. The oil pump cover is VERY important, there's no room for the DR chain with the stock thickness. You'll also need to pull the gear off the balance shaft. No tensioner is used with a DR. If you stay with a single, get a good stock replacement chain and tensioner.

As long as you stay N/A, the felpro headgaskets are fine. I would personally get the ARP headstud kit to go along with them, the stock bolts are TTY, so you have to replace them anyways.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I don't hang around here very often anymore, but I do my best to answer PM's when it comes to this stuff.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Musicman,
Thanks for the advice. I was actually looking into the cam from ARH. Its between that and one I found with comp cams. How much I do to the engine depends on what kind of shape its in when I get it apart. I just got the upper and lower intake manifold off last night. I'm hopeing to have it completely apart by the end of next week. When I get ready to start putting it back togeather I will probably have a few questions for you then.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 PM

The teardown is finally done. Now its time for some measuring and then ordering some parts. During the whole process so far I got to see just how well built these engines are. The only problem I found was leaking intake manifold gaskets. Other than that everything else looked great for 191K miles.

Attached Thumbnails Now the fun begins-img_6554.jpg   Now the fun begins-downsized_1103091848.jpg   Now the fun begins-img_6584.jpg   Now the fun begins-img_6607.jpg   Now the fun begins-img_6604.jpg  

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 PM

After a long delay, the engine is finally coming along.

Attached Thumbnails Now the fun begins-2011-05-20_15-58-24_452.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

nice, no-one ever told me to do it through the bottom when i did it..... so much unnessisary work done...

Quick Reply: Now the fun begins