93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Not to sure what to call this

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Not to sure what to call this

i have a few questions that cover a couple topics.

TOPIC 1
I have a 99 v6 camaro 5 speed. i noticed that i have 4 wheel disc brakes and many others dont. does this mean I have the y87 package? If so what exactly does this package include? Every time i Google it i find a million different answers. The most common ones i find are they have a z28 suspension, 3.42 gears, and 4 wheel disc breaks. Is that true?

TOPIC 2
I was thinking about doing a v8 swap if i do have this package? What all would i need besides the motor. My dad is a good mechanic and he told me that i should be able to use the same trans just change the belll housing is the true? What all would i need to change or swap to z28 parts? i see wroeck or parted out z28s so i dont thing it would be to hard to find the parts.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the production codes. you will need a doner car to do a v8 change.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check the production codes. you will need a doner car to do a v8 change.
where can i find this code

Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

I believe there in the glove box.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mp734
i have a few questions that cover a couple topics.

TOPIC 1
I have a 99 v6 camaro 5 speed. i noticed that i have 4 wheel disc brakes and many others dont. does this mean I have the y87 package? If so what exactly does this package include? Every time i Google it i find a million different answers. The most common ones i find are they have a z28 suspension, 3.42 gears, and 4 wheel disc breaks. Is that true?

TOPIC 2
I was thinking about doing a v8 swap if i do have this package? What all would i need besides the motor. My dad is a good mechanic and he told me that i should be able to use the same trans just change the belll housing is the true? What all would i need to change or swap to z28 parts? i see wroeck or parted out z28s so i dont thing it would be to hard to find the parts.

To answer the first question, it's possible. The RPO codes though were switched to the passenger door instead of the glove box. If you can't find the code, another way to find out is to jack up the rear end and spin one of the tires. If they both spin the same direction, it's almost certainly a Y87 car as they included a LSD. However, they didn't get the Z28 suspension to my knowledge, only better tires, dual exhaust tips, 4-wheel disc brakes, and a different steering ratio. Gears were only changed for automatic equipped Y87s.

For the second, as stated, you will need a complete donor car, drivetrain and computer. Yes, with a different bell housing your T-5 will bolt up to the V8, but it will not last long as they were not built to handle the power of the V8, so you're better off finding a complete LT1/LS1 and T-56 drive train if you want to keep a manual trans.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 11-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

All 98+ camaros have rear disk brakes. I think they did away with drum brakes in 98. There is a sticky thread call V6-V8 swap in this forum. It starts as a joke but there is a lot of go information in it. Also check out the project area there are a few people going the swaps. As cheap as V8 cars are now I do not see it worth all the work.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member

well i have looked at the codes on the driver door and i did not see any y87 code.

Here in michigan its hard to find camaros with a 6 speed and i dont want one if they do not have a stick. i hate autos after have a manual now. will trans am and firebirds be able to switch over to a camaro

Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
All 98+ camaros have rear disk brakes. I think they did away with drum brakes in 98.
That's what I originally thought, but I could find any solid information on what year they made the switch.

Check passenger door or glove box for RPO codes. I thought they moved them by then, but I'm having a hard time remembering stuff. Haha. You could always jack it up and spin the rear tires like I said, this'll give you an idea whether it is or not.

The drive train can switch to a Camaro from a Firebird/Trans Am. If you can't get a hold of a six speed, then set aside money to build up the T-5....though I'm sure by that time you will have had enough money into to have just bought a T-56.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
That's what I originally thought, but I could find any solid information on what year they made the switch.

Check passenger door or glove box for RPO codes. I thought they moved them by then, but I'm having a hard time remembering stuff. Haha. You could always jack it up and spin the rear tires like I said, this'll give you an idea whether it is or not.

The drive train can switch to a Camaro from a Firebird/Trans Am. If you can't get a hold of a six speed, then set aside money to build up the T-5....though I'm sure by that time you will have had enough money into to have just bought a T-56.
The only codes i could find in my car were on my drivers door and i found no y87 code on the tag.

After researching doing the swap it seems like it wouldnt b worth the money. Also my car haveing 209 on it (the body is still nice besides some scratches) prolly just hetter to sell and get a z28.

Does anyone know of a turbo or supercharger kit. Or a way to get more power out of my car til.i can afford a z28

Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Turbo or supercharger with the required upgrades would cost more than a Z28

Quick Reply: Not to sure what to call this