93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

No start diving me batty

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Default No start diving me batty

I have a 96 RS 3.8L I have been having starting issues that are making me want to light a match on this thing!!
I replaced the ECU the Coil Packs and ECM every sensor on the engine including the crank sensor MAF sensor PCV valve positive crankcase pressure sensor(cant remember the actual name of it ..too mad at the moment) oil pressure sensor, water temp sensor , the fuel injectors the fuel rail, plugs, plug wires, I have done compression tests and fuel pressure tests spark tests, the fuel pressure is 45 and holding for a while with just the key but without it running ...... no pressure leaks in any cylinder, every cylinder is getting plenty of fire, it gets air fire and fuel and just turns over like nothing is on the engine if I have not tried to start it in a week or so it will start but then once I kill it it goes back to this crap again, prior to all of this the Plenum was leaking water into the oil, I replaced the gaskets and torqued everything to speck, the only thing I have not replaced yet is the fuel pump and filter, oh yea and it was having starting issues like this intermittently before i replaced the plenum and gaskets.
if anyone knows what is going on please clue me in because I am ready to burn it to the ground and that would be a waste from the money I have put into this car, I just painted it candy apple red with white racing stripes.( i think I just solved my own problem by venting but could someone chime in on what they think , I am thinking fuel pump and filter?)

Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Have you added, with jumper cables, a second battery, or replaced battery, with a known good one?
Have you externally charged present battery?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first off should have changed fuel filter. have you made sure the cat is not plugged.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Have you added, with jumper cables, a second battery, or replaced battery, with a known good one?
Have you externally charged present battery?
Yes I am sorry I did not mention it before that was the first thing I replaced when I got the car the old battery was toast this one is less than two months old and checks out fine when tested, I have not added a second battery I never thought about it but when it does start more times than not I am jumping it from another car because it ran this one down trying.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by craby
first off should have changed fuel filter. have you made sure the cat is not plugged.
It has a brand new exhaust from headers back that the previous own had installed so I doubt its the cat but stranger things had happened , yes I am sure I should have changed the fuel filter already that is an oversight on my part. but do you think it would be JUST the filter or should I go through all the effort to drop the tank and change the pump as well?

Old 02-25-2018, 02:18 PM
4th Gear Member

You might externally charge new battery for a couple days.
If you have a Group 75 battery, its limited to a max of 700 CCA.
You also might try when starting, turn key from OFF to IGN and wait a couple seconds as this turn on fuel pump to run for a couple seconds.
Fuel system is now primed. Now START and it may start.

Think also, of the other circuits powered during START - BCM, PCM, radio, VATS, ign, fuel pump, dome lights, and any other circuit you find.
If battery has not enough power, no start, just cranking, thus the suggestion for a bigger CCA battery - more power, Scotty

If battery is low charged, not enough power, even driving, go for about 20-25 miles to charge.
If you have no voltmeter in dash, you might get an Innova 3721 voltmeter, Amazon for $10, as it would be found this out by adding a second battery and engine started.
Yes, plug-in cigarette lighter voltmeter isn't the most accurate, but this will show you, just an indicator - better than nothing

Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Soldier66
I have a 96 RS 3.8L I have been having starting issues that are making me want to light a match on this thing!!
I replaced the ECU the Coil Packs and ECM every sensor on the engine including the crank sensor MAF sensor PCV valve positive crankcase pressure sensor(cant remember the actual name of it ..too mad at the moment) oil pressure sensor, water temp sensor , the fuel injectors the fuel rail, plugs, plug wires, I have done compression tests and fuel pressure tests spark tests, the fuel pressure is 45 and holding for a while with just the key but without it running ...... no pressure leaks in any cylinder, every cylinder is getting plenty of fire, it gets air fire and fuel and just turns over like nothing is on the engine if I have not tried to start it in a week or so it will start but then once I kill it it goes back to this crap again, prior to all of this the Plenum was leaking water into the oil, I replaced the gaskets and torqued everything to speck, the only thing I have not replaced yet is the fuel pump and filter, oh yea and it was having starting issues like this intermittently before i replaced the plenum and gaskets.
if anyone knows what is going on please clue me in because I am ready to burn it to the ground and that would be a waste from the money I have put into this car, I just painted it candy apple red with white racing stripes.( i think I just solved my own problem by venting but could someone chime in on what they think , I am thinking fuel pump and filter?)
Update: I went through the hassle of pulling the tank and replacing the pump with a known good one that I have, its not as strong but it didn't need to be to test the theory that the one in car is in process of going out and sure enough it is, so I have a new one on the way from Jegs I have a feeling all will be fixed at that point, the old filter was not very old apparently but I replaced it anyway before I went into the tank, no change so I swapped them out and bam bad pump so now I have a new pump on the way with a higher pressure rating to match the new injectors , the cat was perfect as I figured it was, new exhaust rarely has any issues like clogs, the only other part I decided to go ahead and order is the canister I figure why have all this new and an old canister so its on the way too also I am adding a second battery, Everett#2390, had a great idea with adding a second so I added one in the trunk using heavy duty cabling I got from home depot and the battery came out of my Avalanche and is 2 months old I will get it a new one when or if I drive it in the near future. I should have results by the end of the weekend and again thanks for all the input

Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you do know about the pump hatch change? https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...-method-63702/

Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 PM
4th Gear Member

You're welcome.
Time and usage will tell.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by craby
you do know about the pump hatch change? https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...-method-63702/
yea i just didnt want to cut on it my luck I would blow myself up

Quick Reply: No start diving me batty