93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

newb need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Default newb need your help!

I am considering buying a 1998 Camaro with 100,000 miles on it. The guy said that it needs the rear transmission mount put in it. How hard is this to do?

Also what are general problems that there cars have? I am going to look at the car this afternoon and I dont know too much about them.

much thanks!

-Rich = Newb

Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: newb need your help!

wat to hard. minds well put a ls1in it..................

Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 AM

Alright well I bought the car. It is definatly a work in progress.

Here is the scoop on the car.

I went and checked out the car and it ran like dog ****. The rear tranny mount is out so you can feel the trans hit the bottom of the car when you get on it a little bit. The "check engine light is on" , Abs light, and the E-Brake light.

The thing that freaks me out the most about this caris that the previous owner pulled off avacuum hose becuase he said thatit was overheating with itconnected. WTF??? I dont know too much aboutvacuumhoses but normally they all should be connected.

It starts up hard and it probably needs some new plugs and wires. Which I hear is a pain in the *** on this car too.

I checked the oil on the car and the dip stick was twisted about 10 times like a spiral?

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips about putting the rear trans mount on this car. Also any tips when changing plugs and wires.

Right now i feel like im over my head with this car.

How much would it be to drop a LS1 in the car?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I am not sure about Camaros but generally it's nota lot of work to put a tranny mount. It could be as simple as a broken bolt.

First thing I would do is connect the vaccum hose back on. The check engine light and the fact that car runs like crap could be because of the vaccum leak.

As far as the LS1 goes, don't bother. If you want an LS1 car, buy an LS1 car.

How much did you pay? I just bought my 98 in MINT shape, fully loaded with 100k, 5 speed car for 5,000.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

What a bull**** response...

Also, you might want to spell check before you post.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear member

this may seem like an odd question....but why did you buy it?

Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 PM

I payed 2500 for it. It has new tires a new clutch and a new exhaust on it.

I went to autozone today and had them run a code scanner on it and it came back with a cyl 1 misfire, mass air flow sensor error (probably becuase of the vacuum hose disconnected) and a 02 sensor error.

Im thinking that maybe the 02 sensor is jacked up and there for was possibly making the motor run lean.If it was running lean maybe that is why it was over heating. By pulling the vacuum hose off this may have balanced out the bad o2 sensor. ???

Also I checked the oil on this thing and the dip stick is permanatly twisted about 10 times. Wtf!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

She needs TLC bro, def get her the full tune-up, o2 sensor/ plug the vacuum hose back in/ replace the tranny mount/ SOMEONE needs to correct me if im wrong but i believe your dipstick "problem" isnt a problem i know a lot of vehicles come with the dipstick twisted, as long as you can read the level right (im not at a place where i can exactally go out and look at my car to tell you about the dipstick) replace the plugs and wires if needed and top all fluids bro see how she runs

Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear member

oh ok. for 2500 i guess its alright

Quick Reply: newb need your help!