93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need your guys opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by evilkal

More fun to have a stick when you want to play. But consistency, go-fast potential, and ease of heavy traffic driving all play the part of the automatic.

If you think a 5 speed is faster than an auto, I will smack you for being ignorant and then tell you how horribly wrong you are and why.

And the auto will also outlast the 5 speed even if you beat the living **** outta the car or even if you baby it. Clutches will eventually burn up even if you baby it cuz you'll likely ride the clutch pretty often or at least on hills. Nothing but torque converter clutches to **** up in the auto. And even then, even if you beat your car to death, TCC is less likely to burn up than a manual clutch =P
A few points you did not cover. First off a manual clutch is designed to be replaces just like brakes. I have known customers that put 100K on a clutch. They can be replaced with a stock type clutch for about $500. What is the cost of a automatic transmission rebuild? $1800+? With clutch replacement most standards are stronger then their automatic counter parts. Manual transmission do not waste Horse power they will always put more power to the tire and it is the transmission of choice of almost all racing except drag racing.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

well i guess i didnt clarifie, im not sellin my 5.7, i love that car no reason to sell it, im just lookin for a second vehicle to replace the ol honda that does decent on gas, thats why im lookin for a v6

Old 12-18-2009, 06:35 PM
4th Gear Member

I put 170k on my trans so far... No rebuild :$ Nobody is proving my points wrong, just simply saying "Well a manual is this."

Well my points are still true... So either way. It all depends on what you want... Ease of driving, buy an auto. Fun? Buy a manual. Wanna go faster on a 1/4 mile? Buy an auto and even a slight stall will put you ahead of a manual. Wanna go fast in twisties? Buy a manual.

It all comes down to what you wanna do.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, lemme give you a case in point.
Years ago I used to have a 94 3.4 Camaro with an automatic. I took it to a tire shop to get new rubbers. When I went back to pick up my car, the guy who did the install said "man, your car is a dog" (he took it for a test drive). OK, I already knew that cuz it's a 3.4, but don't rub it in! He said "you should see the difference with a manual trans". He also had an unmodified 3.4 Camaro, but with a manual trans. So he took me out for a drive, and I gotta tell you the difference in acceleration and overall performance was NIGHT AND DAY. I was impressed with how the little 3.4 could slam you back in the seat. Mine with the automatic would just lug along and practically trip over itself. If you have one, you know. Btw, my wife blowing my doors off with her Chrysler minivan prompted me to get a 96 Z28 next!
One thing you can do with a manual trans that you can't with an automatic, is have more control over revving the engine to it's sweet spot where it generates h.p. and torque the best. So, I go back to my previous response...if you have two cars that are evenly matched, other than the type of transmission, and the one with the manual can't pull away from the automatic, then the driver with the manual just can't shift worth a crap.
If you have a manual, try practicing speed shifting, and then advance yourself to power shifting. Then try and say it doesn't perform better than an automatic. But, if you break something, don't hold me liable.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by evilkal
Nobody is proving my points wrong, just simply saying "Well a manual is this."
Just so you know I agree with you 100% I was just adding some of the good points of the manual. For 90% of the people out there automatic is the way to go. I think sticks are like convertibles. Many people think they want them then they end up regretting the purchase. The only time I would buy a automatic is if I know my wife or daughters will be driving the car.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:52 PM
4th Gear Member

I've drove a manual and automatic 3.8L. Not much of a difference to me. A manual puts down more power, but auto is more consistent...

And stick a 3k stall or higher in the auto and you'll run all over the same car with a 5 speed all day long.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 PM

I have the 3.4 with an auto and it does ok. I would love more HP and a manual, but the electronically shifted trans performs very well. I've got nothing to gripe about other than not being able to shift myself...

Originally Posted by murderd96z28
in the v6, what is better the 3.4 or the 3.8?? and why? and what is your opinion on the auto trans?