93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need Info. on Changing Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Location: James Creek, PA 16657 & 2nd Home in Bonifay, FL 32425
Default Need Info. on Changing Intake Gaskets

My 1st post was about my car and coolant leakage.

The Eng. is a V-6 and the leakage is running down the right side of the engine on the front. I can see it's coolant track.. that's a trickle as it runs down.

I (the forum) thought it was freeze plug because I saw it dripping underneath but was ruled out with further exam. and good light.

I had a repair book for-- 02 Camaro and 01 Dodge diesel but they turned up missing after my recent move here in FL. I can go buy another but they may turn up over time... in a box I have not checked.

Need help with a down load that does not cost. What kind of job is this is to change the gaskets ? I'm a diesel machanic and use to working on engines. However, these were the earlier years (58 to 1987) 283, 327 and 350's but not late model stuff.

How difficult is it to do this job. I have heard that that the manifold gaskets were a design problem on this 3800 engine from Car Fax.

The car has been well taken car of and 9X K miles, does not use oil or smoke and the engine runs and sounds 100%.

I have one service fault light, it's the upper EGR Sensor, the lower one was replaced when the exhaust was done about 15 K ago. It's a convertible but this should not make a difference.

Also, what gasket's do I buy, have these gaskets been improved and buy only OEM (upgraded) gasket's from Chev. or What ?

Just need a couple pointer's and some engine data.

Thanks' in Advance.

Avery

Last edited by Avery; 01-02-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Overdrive Member

OK This is not a hard job just time consuming.

Being a Diesel mech you should be able to easily see what needs to come off to get down to the lower intake, it is not much different than the older engines you are used to. Remove and label the hoses going to the fuel system, evap and MAP, remove the injector wiring and fuel rail (this will prolly take the injectors too), remove the upper intake and then the lower intake, clean everything nice and reinstall.

That is the really quick and dirty I know there are other things that need to be removed but you will see what needs to be. Valve covers can stay on in this job.

Felpro makes a good gasket for this engine and there are 2 different Lower ones, either will work just fine. One upper set is not included usually but they are pretty cheap.

I have a PDF that will help in your repair it comes out of a Helm manual about the 3800 engine. Send me a message with your E-mail if you want it.

Massey

Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Ensure that you check the plastic elbow that runs right above the water pump into the intake, it takes about 30 mins to replace and can look like a bad intake........1SG

Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
4th Gear Member

Here is the gasket set I used that comes with everythiing including the head gaskets.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1419161408___

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM

I need a Little More Information about the Plastic Elbo that may be leaking.

What is this Plastic Elbo Part Item Called ______________ (GM Part ID) ?

What does this Elbo Feed Coolant to.. the Intake Manifold or What _______ ?

Thank You,

Avery

Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

This sounds alot like the timing cover gasket. I had the same problem with mine, then I re-did the gasket and it all works great now.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Mr. Freez or Anyone that Can Help Me,

When I read your reply... I went out and looked at the front of my engine and re-read the Chilton book and looked at the different photo's.

Pardon me for my lack of understanding. I saw the new water pump which I just installed and the housing that it bolts up to and connecting radiator hoses.

If I understand you right.. this WP Housing may be leaking where it's mated to the front of the engine. You said.. Timing Gear Cover and that would cover a oil leak but not coolant leakage .... I'm asking if I'm right about this assumption ?

I did not see the little elbow that feed's up to the intake manifold.. this may not be installed on a 2002 year model 3800 engine ?

I saw the coolant sensor that is mounted at the bottom right corner of he engine and no leakage there.

Anyway.. if you can shed some more light on where your leak was coming from... it would help me find this suspect (leakage) area _____ ? and look at this exact area more closely.. I'd appreciate it.

Thank You

Avery

Last edited by Avery; 01-16-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Overdrive Member

The little plastic elbows are on the 2002 engine. There is one behind the the water pump and one behind the tensioner.

Massey

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Here's the instructions on how to replace the timing cover gasket. I hope it's just the plastic elbow because it's alot easier to replace. My Camaro has the 3.4L, but both engines can have a coolant leak with a bad timing cover gasket.

http://www.gmtunerz.ca/docs/02camaroTimingCover.pdf

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Hello All

Attn: Mr. Freez, Ozduck5 and Massey and Others

Today was the 1st day that I was able to work on the 02 Camaro.

I removed the Alt. so I could see better and good view at the little plastic connection and it was dry and has not been leaking.

I serviced it up with water and pressized the system and the water gushed out in No Time. The leakage (space that is under neath) is right in the front of the engine and centered on the intake manifold and running down the front of engine. I could Not see 100% but very clear that the leakage is right there.

Ok.. is the lower intake manifold gaskets... (leakage right in the front and center line of manifold) shot or what ?

Thanks'

Avery

Last edited by Avery; 01-30-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Info. on Changing Intake Gaskets