93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default need help please

yesterday I went to my car an noticed my alarm made a weird noise it worked but made a different noise then usual and i looked at the odometer and it was blank but the car started up good

today the car took longer to start and i got about maybe a mile and the car started shaking and hard to put into 2nd gear i put it in nutral at a redlight and the car shut itself off i turned it back on and it shut off again all the lights dimmed out but still worked

could this be the alternator or the gas line is frozen?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: need help please

To begin with, I don'tthink the carwould run if gas line was frozen. What does the voltage read? Do you know what it looked like before it shut off?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the car was normal and it started shaking i turned the radio off just to see if i can hear anything in case something happened but it was shaking i put it in 2nd gear it wouldnt go into 2nd and then it just shut off then i turned it back on and it shut off again

i just changed the battery 5 min ago and the car sounds like it wants to start but it doesnt

Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 PM

You're either not getting a spark or not getting fuel. The shaking sounds like the car running out of gas, but I'm assuming you can read your gas gauge I'd bet it's either the fuel pump or the fuel filter. Likely the fuel pump because I usually notice a degradation in performance leading up to failure when the problem is the filter.

Without fully attempting to crank the engine, put the key in the start position and listen for the slight hissing sound that comes about for a brief second... If you hear it, that means your fuel pump is working and you'll want to have someone check the fuel pressure. If you don't hear it, you may have a dead fuel pump. That's not the end of the world, fortunately!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it says i have a quatertank left maybe the gas line froze thats my guess

Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Overdrive Member

I think kahzmo99 might be right. It would have to be pretty damn cold to freeze gas... Unless you have alot of water in your fuel, I don't see that happening. Next time you go to start your car, don't start it right away, listen for the sound of the fuel pump priming the system. It will do it when you take the key to the "ON" position.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what i heard was a hummmm kind of sounded like the sound a computer makes when it turns on

Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Overdrive Member

If it came from the back, that should be the fuel pump. Have you checked your fuel pressure?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

nope i didnt hear a hiss from the back i never really do but then again i never really listened for it

as i was looking at fuses my dad checked the fuel pressure and he said he couldnt feel any

Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i went to start the car today it started right up i heard the fuel pump kick on and everything must of been the cold weather maybe the fuel line was frozen