93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need help diagnosing enigne problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Unhappy Need help diagnosing enigne problem

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I don't know quite how everything works or if I have posted this in the correct place so please forgive me.

About 3 weeks ago I became a proud owner of a 1999 Camaro. The car is in great shape mechanically, looks great, and was obvious that this car was very well taken care of by previous owners. I absolutely love it.
Driving the car for the first few weeks was great, I had absolutely no problems and it ran like perfectly. Until one day about a week ago, when I noticed the engine seemed to be randomly cutting out and would loose power for a fraction of a second. Randomly weather it be when i'm accelerating, at a constant speed, or even idling, the car will momentarily loose power. A few times sitting at stop lights the car has even died.
Even weirder is that this problem is random and happens at any time. There are days when it doesn't happen at all, and other days it will happen quite frequently. It seems completely random. Also the check engine light will periodically come on and off.

The only thing i have found to correlate with the power loss is a drop in the voltage meter, when the engine looses power the voltage drops to about the 1/4 mark. But nothing else happens, The headlights don't dim, the radio doesnt loose power nothing else seems to change

I have checked the car for codes twice and both times different codes came up

The first round of codes were: P1514 and P1516
And the second time i got: P0102 and the first two codes didnt come up

At first i was told that it might be something with my fuel system such as the pump or the filter, i changed the filter to no avail. And have also tried running multiple bottles of seafoam in the fuel which has also seemed to do nothing.

I was also told that cleaning the Mass airflow sensor could help, but that also did nothing.

I am incredibly confused and no one seems to be able to give me a clear answer on how to fix this. Has anyone encountered a problem similar to this? does anyone know what this might be or how I could fix it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:48 PM

I forgot to mention the car is an automatic 3.8L V6

Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Some people have reported having these issues when the battery voltage has fallen too low, so maybe check the battery and cables first.

But, I would say the problem is likely with the throttle control system, probably the engine throttle body. Check the cable attached to the throttle body for corrosion of the pins or looseness. The P1514 and P1516 codes relate directly to that system. P1514 is a result of a mismatch between the throttle position, engine rpm and MAF reading. P1516 is a mismatch between the accelerator position and the throttle position, since they are electrically linked, not mechanically. P0102 says the MAF reading is lower than possible. My thought is the the P0102 is a result of the bad readings from the throttle body. The 3800 engine is infamous for a weakness in the longevity of the throttle body. and there is no way to repair it, only replace it. A good mechanic should be able to detect erratic movement in the throttle system just by watching it while someone moves the pedal slowly.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Some people have reported having these issues when the battery voltage has fallen too low, so maybe check the battery and cables first.

But, I would say the problem is likely with the throttle control system, probably the engine throttle body. Check the cable attached to the throttle body for corrosion of the pins or looseness. The P1514 and P1516 codes relate directly to that system. P1514 is a result of a mismatch between the throttle position, engine rpm and MAF reading. P1516 is a mismatch between the accelerator position and the throttle position, since they are electrically linked, not mechanically. P0102 says the MAF reading is lower than possible. My thought is the the P0102 is a result of the bad readings from the throttle body. The 3800 engine is infamous for a weakness in the longevity of the throttle body. and there is no way to repair it, only replace it. A good mechanic should be able to detect erratic movement in the throttle system just by watching it while someone moves the pedal slowly.
Thanks for the input! I have yet to figure out the problem but your suggestions sounds promising. As soon as I get some time ill look into what you said. I really hope I can find out whats wrong because its incredibly annoying and inconvenient. If it does turn out to be the throttle body and since they apparently are notorious for going bad in this engine, are there any aftermarket options that might be more reliable? I have never looked into something like that and wouldn't know where to find one. If so what would be a good brand to go with in your opinion?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I am not aware of any aftermarket versions, but then I don't know a lot about the V6 engines. Finding a used one might be possible.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 AM
2nd Gear member

If the engine is anywhere near what is in a 3800 Grand Prix GTP there will be a large selection of after market over sized bodies.