93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need help with cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Default Need help with cooling system

So far I have replaced the water pump, 180 thermostat and today I replaced the coolant temperature sending unit. I have replaced the coolant 3 times so far also. I have been using the 50/50 solution but someone suggested changing it to 60/40 solution and add redline water wetter so I am going to try that. The problem I have been having is it has been running hot while in traffic. I drive about 40 miles to work one way in the morning with no traffic and I have not had a problem. On the return home in traffic it runs between halfway and 3/4 on the guage and I get a burning coolant smell. I can't tell if the fan comes on while driving but when I park and sit there for a minute the fan usually comes on. Today, I put in some super flush and followed the directions. After I ran it with the super flush in, I let it cool, drained it and filled it with water and let it run again. This time the temp hit 3/4 on the guage and the fan did not come on. Is there a way to test the fan? I can't think of anything else to do besides change the radiator. Any ideas or suggestions? 94 V6 3.4L 5 speed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Need help with cooling system

You need to make sure the system has adequate pressure. Pressure test the system. It should hold the recommended pressure for at least 5 minutes. Any less and you may have some substantial leaking. Test the cap, also, making sure it opens at the correct time. You will also need to be sure you have bled the entire system of all air. Air can be compressed, thus creating voids in the coolant. On my Camaro (1998 3.8) the low fan circuit will engage at a reading of 221F, and high fans at 235F+.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Overdrive Member

To me it sounds like your fan motor might be toast -- check it ASAP

Old 06-30-2007, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I bled the whole system because when I was draining it, I removed the coolant temp sending unit and when I removed it a bunch more fluid drained out. I'll probably replace the fan motor. Is there any way to check it??

Old 06-30-2007, 04:41 PM

I replaced the fan motor today and no luck. I think I'm gonna end up taking it to get looked at next week.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 PM
4th Gear Member

taking it in is the worst.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear member

It does beat throwing parts at it. Sorry for not replying earlier, but bench testing the motor and applying 12 volts directly should have given you some clue as to whether or not it's working.

And how is the coolant level? Are you losing any? How about the reservoir tank? As I stated earlier, a pressure test would be wise. Losing coolant may be extremely possible, and if it's undetected, may be an internal leak.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM
4th Gear Member

them cooling probs are a pain in the a

Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Without a doubt, but like any other problem, it can be solved by means of using the correct methods and testing procedures.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 PM

No external leaks. Everytime I take the radiatior cap off the coolant level is full and same with the resevoir. If I run the car with the cap off the coolant level rises to the top and overflows a little. Not sure if that is normal or not. It seems like it's not going anywhere. I took the hoses off and put them in water to check for cracks. They were good. I'm confused as to why the fan is not coming on at all now. At least before it would come on when the car was stopped. I really hate to spend the money and take in but it seems like the only option I have right now. I will try the pressure test. I've been reading up on it a bit today. I'm really not that knowledgeable about cars but I have learned a lot here and from my car problems also. Thanks to all who have helped.

Quick Reply: Need help with cooling system