93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need Help 95 3.4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Exclamation Need Help 95 3.4 issues

Okay so im going to first state that I am new to Camaros. I just bought this 95 Camaro for 400 Originally for the motor to put in my 87 Fiero. I bought the Car, towed it home and then i started trying to figure out what was wrong, it had a loose ground connection and I tightened that up, It still wouldnt start, So i starter looking under the dash (i read somewhere about the security system in them) so i started moving wires around and i found that if I hold the wire harness just right, the Camaro will fire right up, but if i let go of the harness or move it again, it will Die. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I want to fix the Camaro up and then resell it instead of parting it out.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1) A broken wire, quite possibly buried deep in a wiring harness.
B) A bad ground wire or loose connection to metal.
3) You're gonna have go to do some dash diving!
From here, it's going to be next to impossible for any of us to pinpoint exactly where your wiring gremlin is hiding.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Ah bummer, i was hoping it would be a common Camaro problem.. I guess ill go diving some more.. would I be better off going to the junkyard and pulling a harness from one of those cars, or just cutting up the existing one and solder in some new wiring?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Well, I THINK i found the problem, its one of the heavier gauge wires going above the steering column, There are 2 Pink, a Yellow,a Red, and a Brown, maybe a few others. But I dont know where it leads too, but i can trace the wires with my hand and when i get to about where they connect and its hot as hell. So im assuming thats where the short is, but I dont know what it is, OR how to get to it, Any ideas would be wonderful.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

To gain access, you may need to lower your steering column a little, loosen/remove the bolts where it mounts to the lower dash frame. Make sure it is one of those wires before digging that far. And don't mess with the big yellow wires, those are part of your air bag circuit.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 PM

So say i were to accidentally cut one of the airbag wires.. what would happen? Im just asking so i know what to expect if i mess up.. and Im fairly certain that its one of those wires.. because if i move that pigtail harness so it connects right, and then start it, i let go and the car dies.. so its gotta be right there..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the battery still connected, you could deploy the airbag, ruining the center of your steering wheel, etc.
But, that yellow wire isn't causing your problem. A car will still run with a faulty, or deployed air bag system.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 PM

That wouldnt be good.. I will be careful with Yellow wires then.. I dont feel like finding out what an airbag feels like.. my dad tells me there not too fun (im only 16).
Is there a module or something i can pull to disable the airbags? so i dont get hit? if so that would be awesome

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Disconnect the battery, and nothing bad will happen. But that makes it harder to find the broken wire. Moving an air bag wire around isn't going to set it off, just don't cut it.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM

I beleive i found the bad spot.. There is a Blue connector that connects above the steering column, that is partially melted.. i think that would be the problem.. But I dont know what that wiring is or what it actually does.. any Information would be helpful. Should I just go the the Junkyard and pull the connector and just splice it in?

Quick Reply: Need Help 95 3.4 issues