93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need expertise please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Default need expertise please...

I have a 01 camaro 3.8 and have been experiencing engine hesitation problems every blue moon when accelerating. feels like engine is cutting out or being choked. Only happens every once in a while, and doesn't do it with any consistency. I have noticed it more when the car has been driven alot on a any paticular day. Anyway, i have replaced fuel filter, checked cat, and tune up was doen 30,000 miles ago, along with a fuel pump change. Up until the other day, i wasn't getting an SES light. the other day the check engine light came on and read a code of : Mass / Volume air flow, low input. I'm almost positive this means i need a new maf sensor. But i want to get some opinions from you guys first before i buy this cause it's pretty pricey. Plus i took a look at my current MAF sensor and don't see anything that appears to be wrong or no cloggage. any expertise is appreciated, thanks

"as long as i have torque, I shall prosper victoriously"

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: need expertise please...

Is it doing it now? If you unplug the MAF, and it's your problem, then your car should run a little better. What did you do to check the MAF? Did you remove it, or just look at the honeycomb?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 AM

i just looked at the honeycomb. Didn't know i could unplug it. if so what problems would it cause if I unplug it? other than the check engine light being on

Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Overdrive Member

If you unplug it, and it is your problem, the engine should run a bit better. Not perfect, but better. Unplugging it, the PCM uses the MAP sensor to help measure air flow. If you really want to inspect the MAF sensor, you can remove it from the housing. Do this carefully, as the sensor consists of 2 very fragile wires. Ensure wires are intact. If you'd like, get some sensor cleaner from the auto parts store, and clean per the directions. If you're curious as to which one the MAF sensor is... The big fat sensor directly on top of throttle body housing. Square in shape I believe.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 AM

ok, I appreciate your advice. i'll try unplugging the MAF this evening... Is there anything i need to know, like if the car needs to be on when i unplug it or can it be off? the extra fuel shouldn't burn on plugs or injectors should it?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Overdrive Member

Car can be off or on. I'm not sure what that last question meant, butunplugging it shouldn'tcause any harm.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

it may not be what you're talkign about, but sometimes when I am driving around, then let off the gas, then hit it again slightly (and only going uphill) the car will kind of "balk" a few times (can hear it well with the exhaust*sound effects*bruum bruum brum brum bruuuuuuuu.... and then it goes on with no problem) i'm going to change out my spark plugs soon and see if that knocks it off...if a new maf doesn't do it, maybe get a tune up done with plugs and whatnot...with that code however, its prooobably not the plugs setting if off lol

Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Did you replace/clean your air filter recently?