93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

My buddy parting out his 96 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default My buddy parting out his 96 3.8

so, in another thread i have on here about an airbox mod, i had mentioned my friend parting out his camaro and picking up his stock airbox since i did a horrible thing by hacking mine all to hell. im pretty sure its a 95-96 (not sure of the year) 3800II. the reason hes parting it out is because the head gasket blew on him. car has 134k. automatic. body is pretty beat up.

anyways. his car has a flowmaster muffler with duel chrome exhaust tips. whereas mine has a single pipe with a stock muffler. my question is, (you guessed it) can his flowmaster muffler duel pipe setup bolt onto mine?

also, is there anything else i should try and get from it?

my buddy said to do an engine swap to the 3800, but im not looking to do all that unless its a direct swap. (just swapping out engines with very little fab work, and not having to swap k-members and what not) because if thats the case id rather just swap an lt1, which i dont have the patience, money or proper equipment for.

another thing he said is i should install t-tops on my hard top....i know that sounds bogus as all get out, but honestly, is it possible? how hard would something like that be? it sounds like a really REALLY extensive project lol.

sorry for posting so many threads, i just have alot of questions lol.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

yes the muffler will bolt right in. also to swap from your 3.4 to the 3800 wouldnt be too bad with the whole car available (you have to remove both crossmembers to drop the motors anyways. its quite easy to drop the engine, imo the easiest of any car ive ever done) also the hard top to ttop is not too hard either, your car is set up for them you just need to cut off your roof skin and swap over the seals and latches (if you pull your headliner you can see everythings there just covered with the skin)

Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
yes the muffler will bolt right in. also to swap from your 3.4 to the 3800 wouldnt be too bad with the whole car available (you have to remove both crossmembers to drop the motors anyways. its quite easy to drop the engine, imo the easiest of any car ive ever done) also the hard top to ttop is not too hard either, your car is set up for them you just need to cut off your roof skin and swap over the seals and latches (if you pull your headliner you can see everythings there just covered with the skin)
That's good news on the exhaust. Thanks.

but for the swap, isn't the 3800 an obd2 system? That's a ton of wireing I'm not looking to mess with. I mean, I've thought about it, but i just don't have the equipment or patience for it seeing as this is my daily. I don't want it to be out of commission for months on end. I'm just looking for some tasteful mods (like the duel exhaust for instance is a nice touch).

As for the t top conversion, I actually have been researching it, and it really looks like something that isn't too far out of reach to accomplish. If I still have the car by spring/summer, it could be a project I might consider doing.

But is there anything else useful I should pull from his car other than the airbox, exhaust, and t-tops?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You sure you don't want to just buy his car and fix it? Body work is easy as long as its not rusted everywhere.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
You sure you don't want to just buy his car and fix it? Body work is easy as long as its not rusted everywhere.
haha his brother had told me he beat on that car and its in terrible condition. quarter panels are wrecked with dents, and with the blown head gasket, it just dont seem like its worth the time.

also, sorry for the late replies, been super busy with work, and just life in general lol.