93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A Modest Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011 | 03:05 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
To keep the ac you need to run your down pipe under the k frame. Or get a tubular k frame.
Not true, my kit from FFF kit came with a downpipe that ran over the top of the compressor, not under the k-member, and a 3.5" one at at that (I didn't use it since my turbo has a 3" outlet, not 3.5", bought the hotside and DP used). You can also swap to a FWD oil filter neck, and run the DP through the new hole you'll open up (if you do the swap you'll see what I'm talking about right off the bat). There used to be a website that had pictures, but it's long gone, and I don't think anyone has documented doing it recently since it's really not that hard to run the DP up and over the compressor. The new thing now is GN style headers where the crossover is in the rear of the engine, gives you more room up front, and is easier to run the DP if you build things right.

And Gorn, one thing to remember is most people don't join a camaro forum with goals for messing with their base model engine, more of what you'll see here are people who have problems and join looking for answers, how to fix them, etc. That's why you probably see all the bearing problems. The 3800 is known for how reliable it is, in the dealerships you almost never saw one with terminal problems. Most of the techs had only replaced a couple engines in their whole career, and that has been due to other problems like chipped pistons in abused neglected l67's, bearing problems from LIM gaskets (probably the biggest problem with these engines stock), but most of the time these engines came in for valve cover leaks and miss fires (the ICM's are usually the cause). Really a rock solid engine compared to the other GM engines, I think I saw more LS engines with collapsed lifters, broken valve springs, and blown headgaskets than I ever expected to see, and those engines are famous for their factory strength.

As for factory assembled engines, I think most people here and on other forums are better off buying a low miles engine and doing things like valve springs, ported heads, etc. and never touching the bottom end. There's a lot of precision required in building a shortblock right and one that is as reliable as factory assembled stuff, cleanliness is the biggest killer I've seen. People just don't know how to build that part of the engine right. As for all the bearing problems you're talking about, I never saw that in the dealership, nor did any of the other techs, least not as widespread as you portray it to be. I have seen bypass valves jam open in the filter neck and cause bearings to spin, what it does at the point is bypasses your oil filter and blows all that crap through the galleries and such, plugging passages, making bearings spin, starving parts of the engine of oil as expected. I've pulled wrecking yard engines before, and the first thing you always look at is that bypass valve, if it's popped, the engine is guaranteed trash. Sometimes people buy a wrecking yard engine swap it in, have bearing problems, tear it down and rebuild it, put that same filter neck back on, and spin a bearing again. It's unfortunate, but it's a problem that isn't widely known about for some reason, everyone wants to blame something else. My last engine in the V6 sported ARP crap everywhere, I'm not the one to defend factory bolts, but credit is still due where earned if you ask me.

Old 07-28-2011 | 03:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's good to know even tho I don't have a/c. Do you have any pics of your setup? I know there's a few in your build thread.

Old 07-29-2011 | 02:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
To keep the ac you need to run your down pipe under the k frame. Or get a tubular k frame.
can anyone pm pictures of their setup like this i am very interested. i plan on getting a new crate engine with a blower cam, forged internals then add boost to it, even tho its a v6 im not 25 to be able to get a v8 and have cheaper insurance so until then ima rock the 6!

Last edited by DeathProof; 07-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2011 | 04:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MusicMan
As for factory assembled engines, I think most people here and on other forums are better off buying a low miles engine and doing things like valve springs, ported heads, etc. and never touching the bottom end. There's a lot of precision required in building a shortblock right and one that is as reliable as factory assembled stuff, cleanliness is the biggest killer I've seen..
It is ironic. I am arguing that people should build the motor the way you did and you are saying people should do what I did.

Old 07-29-2011 | 05:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
It is ironic. I am arguing that people should build the motor the way you did and you are saying people should do what I did.
Lol. Same point different views. Gotta love it when this happens.

Old 08-16-2011 | 09:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Old 10-11-2021 | 09:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default A modest supercharger instead?

Originally Posted by Cheeks
Like gorn said, there is a lot more to a turbo kit than you think. It would be best to save your money and research research research!!! Then when you think you know enough, research more. Its not as easy as you think
Isn't the 3.6 twin turbocharged in the Caddy zTS Vsport and made 420 hp.
But the Edelbrock kit I bought is for low mileage 3.6 liter V6 Camaro's and it comes with a fun moderate tune that gives you 100 more HP and 80 ftlbs. So will it crush an SS? Probably not but it will hang with it. So a small turbo is bad because of all the heat they make, which requires metal that can take that heat day in and day out. Supercharger runs off the crank
I am just a Supercharger fan for a late model Camaro V6.
-Chris

This is the 19950 Supercharger. It runs off the crank just like mad max. Everything you need comes with it. This is a level one kit. Once this is installed it is tuned for Premium fuel and you can get this much power and NO MORE unless you add bigger injectors and a larger fuel pump. So, we want the stage one horsepower so it doesnt destroy the car.